usb passthrough?

My company just impletemented a new script that scans all hard drives on the network and deletes any MP3s from the hard drive. This also extends out to usb thumb drives. Now I don't want to be scared to plug in my usb thumb drive, so I was thinking of having an arduino pass the usb signals (1.1, 2.0 might be to fast) to the thumb drive but catch the delete command and just not pass it through. Now there are some AtTiny implementations of the usb protocol, but I havn't seen any for the atmega 328, is there a reason why?

So do I just need to grab the AtTiny implementation and start from there, or am I missing something big and its going to be harder then I think?

It would probably be cheaper and easier to just by a thumb drive that you use only for work.

As a passthrough device, the Arduino would need to act as both USB master (to get data from the thumb drive) and USB slave (to accept commands from the computer.

This dual-role is not an easy one to implement.

There are also card readers that look like hard drives to the OS. You can then simply turn on write protect switch on the card and get bomb proof "delete" intercept for free.

My company just impletemented a new script that scans all hard drives on the network and deletes any MP3s from the hard drive. This also extends out to usb thumb drives. Now I don't want to be scared to plug in my usb thumb drive, so I was thinking of having an arduino pass the usb signals (1.1, 2.0 might be to fast) to the thumb drive but catch the delete command and just not pass it through. Now there are some AtTiny implementations of the usb protocol, but I havn't seen any for the atmega 328, is there a reason why?

whoah, I'm pretty sure that's overkill. I have a thumbdrive with a write-protect switch built-in. maybe you could find one of those.

I imagine though that your employer will continue to be cheesed about the unauthorized file types so you could end up on a report somewhere.