USB Port not seen on OSX 10.3.9 PPC

hello,

we need help getting arduino to run on a mac G4. i just updated from 10.2.8 to 10.3.9 because the IDE wasn't properly starting. I also installed the USB driver, and it shows up correctly in the system profiler as (translated from german)

FTDIUSBSerialDriver 2.16, Loaded? No. Valid? Yes. Identified? Yes. Depenendencies? Sufficient.

... however the only items i got in the serial port menu are /dev/tty.modem and /dev.cu.modem ...

i also tried to remove arduino IDE and re-install it (as i recognize it does some compilation at startup), also deleted its prefs, no success. the version is 0010 Alpha.

i get a series of warning after the first run (when arduino IDE is compiling things), i guess that's normal however....?

the G4 is "Model: Power Mac G4 (AGP-Grafik) ; CPU-Type: PowerPC G4 (2.8); Speed: 450 MHz; RAM: 768 MB; Boot-ROM-Version: 3.2.6f1)

the board is a Diecimila, but i guess that is irrelevant because i don't even get the proper menu item for the USB port.

thanks for help!!

ciao, -sciss-

Do you have the board actually connected to your mac? My mac seems to make the FTDI based serial ports disappear when they're not connected. I found Lady Ada's tutorial particularly useful in explaining where the Mac things showed up...

See USB on Fedora 8, above, for a possible solution