USB requirements

Hello,

My requirement is to develop an embedded device which should take power from USB and it can be operated under 5V. Data transmission could also be done simultaneously through USB. There will be one wifi chip also on that embedded device to route that data further. Data can be anything including multimedia.

Can it be possible through arduino Yun board?

1. Yun take power from USB and it can be operated under 5V.

Yes, while Yun's ATmega32u4 USB port.

1. Data transmission could also be done simultaneously through USB.

Perhaps, Yun's AR9331 USB port default is host mode, if an other end is client mode is ready to go.

1. There will be one wifi chip also on that embedded device to route that data further.

Yes, Yun's AR9331 is Wifi SoC (system on chip)

1. Data can be anything including multimedia.

AR9331 USB is USB 2.0 and AR9331's Wifi SoC supports 802.11 b/g/n. but real performance you need test yourself.

@2. AR9331 support USB port as client but Yun is designed as lack that function.

I think what Sonny is saying is that the Yun meets the requirement except for the fact that the client USB port that powers the device sits on the Arduino side of the bridge, and communicates fairly slowly with the Linux side. The wifi and Ethernet sit on the Linux side. I think the host USB port is on the Linux side.

BTW, does anyone have block schematics for the board, and an indication of how the power supply works? How much regulation does power supplied to the Yun over USB need, and how much power can be fed through to the host USB port on the Yun?

Edmund

Linux side (AR9331) does support both host, device(client) mode. but Yun only implements host mode. I have no idea why Qualcomm ( maker of AR9331) did not put USB On-The-Go port.

edmundronald: ... BTW, does anyone have block schematics for the board, and an indication of how the power supply works? How much regulation does power supplied to the Yun over USB need, and how much power can be fed through to the host USB port on the Yun? ...

• Arduino YUN Schematic
  • Arduino YUN Layout
  • Arduino YUN Gerber

http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=187766.msg1580687#msg1580687

Power consumption of the board

http://playground.arduino.cc/Hardware/Yun

So what i understood is that ATmega32u4 USB port acts as client mode and any data transmission/reception can be done using this port simultaneously with power but data will flow slowly to AR9331 to route furthur.

In AR9331 USB port acts as host mode and it can be changed to device/client mode by flashing another linux image which is configured as device mode on AR9331 but in this case data can be routed faster on wifi. Am i right ?

vaibhav123: So what i understood is that ATmega32u4 USB port acts as client mode and any data transmission/reception can be done using this port simultaneously with power but data will flow slowly to AR9331 to route furthur. ...

ATmega32u4 USB port acts DC jack, only feed DC 5V.

Ok So ATmega32u4 USB port can only supply power but edmundronald is saying it can receive data as well but data flow from ATmega32u4 to AR9331 will be little slower.

vaibhav123: ... In AR9331 USB port acts as host mode and it can be changed to device/client mode by flashing another linux image which is configured as device mode on AR9331 but in this case data can be routed faster on wifi. Am i right ?

If an other end USB device is device mode ( i.e. USB webcam), directly connect Yun to it and ready to go. If an other end USB device support USB On-The-Go, connect Yun to it with USB Non On-The-Go cable (which put it at device mode) If an other end USB device is host only mode, We are out of luck with Yun.

Change AR9331 to device/client mode:

• flashing another linux image
  • set certain pin of AR9331 voltage level

Ok so if other end is USB On-The-Go, connect Yun to it with USB On-The-Go cable then Yun could become USB device. This is what you want to say, If yes then which port you are talking about Ar9331 or ATmega32u4 USB port ?

vaibhav123: Ok so if other end is USB On-The-Go, connect Yun to it with USB On-The-Go cable then Yun could become USB device. This is what you want to say, If yes then which port you are talking about Ar9331 or ATmega32u4 USB port ?

I have no idea why Qualcomm ( maker of AR9331) did not put USB On-The-Go port.

AR9331 has no USB On-The-Go port.

If an other end USB device support USB On-The-Go, connect Yun to it with USB Non On-The-Go cable (which put it at device mode)

Both it means same thing - other end USB device.

Non On-The-Go cable = straight USB cable

Please tell us what is USB device you are planning to use?

Sonny, This is interesting. If USB-on-the-go is supported could we have an example?

Vaibhav Yes, I was saying that the client-USB on the Arduino AVR side of the bridge is limited in its throughput through the bridge to the Linux side. The bridge is actually a serial line on the board. It's old tech.

Edmund

edmundronald: Sonny, This is interesting. If USB-on-the-go is supported could we have an example? ...

Some Android devices such as the Nexus 5 support a very useful feature that manufacturers don’t really make a whole lot of fuss over: USB On the go. If we connect it to Yun we need Straight USB cable which make Nexus 5 as device mode.

Arduino Tre support USB-on-the-go ?

• updated kernel which has USB OTG host mode .
  • The jumper on the back of the board can be used to attach some solder to, or a cable that has the pins shorted.

Hi Sonnyyu
I want an eval board having one usb device port where any type of data can be sent from host. After receiving this data that eval board should have one wifi chip to route that data on internet.
One more thing that board could be operated below 5 V through usb power supply from same usb device port.

Could you please suggest any evaluation board/kit which can meet above requirements?

Hi Sonnyyu Can i use Arduino Leonardo as USB device for receiving data from host and for wifi I can connect arduino wifi shield with Leonardo for routing that data to internet.

vaibhav123: Hi Sonnyyu Can i use Arduino Leonardo as USB device for receiving data from host and for wifi I can connect arduino wifi shield with Leonardo for routing that data to internet.

Yes you can, but at very low transfer speed. nothing to do with your anything including multimedia.

vaibhav123: Hi Sonnyyu I want an eval board having one usb device port where any type of data can be sent from host. After receiving this data that eval board should have one wifi chip to route that data on internet. One more thing that board could be operated below 5 V through usb power supply from same usb device port.

Could you please suggest any evaluation board/kit which can meet above requirements?

What type hardware of host? what type OS at host? sound like you just reroute or serve data stream to WIFI. usb power up WIFI is not issue.

Host can PC MAC. OS can be windows or linux on host side.

vaibhav123: Host can PC MAC. OS can be windows or linux on host side.

They have building WIFI or simply add on? for internet connectivity might use hotspot/AP.

|500x500

4G hotspot

host->wifi->hotspot->4G LTE network ->internet

Or

Make arduino work as an AP to network.

http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=322588.0

host->wifi->Yun ->ethernet cable ->internet