usb serial port drivers on mac running lion not there

I have just installed the latest downloads of the drivers and when I go to select a usb driver only bluetooth shows up

What Arduino board are you using? There are no drivers to install for a Uno (or any Arduino with an ATmega8U2).

I am using an uno, what my problem is that when I plug in the uno its gets power,
but when I upload I get an error message "serial port’/dev/tty.Bluetooth-modem already in use.Try quitting any program that may be using it.
I restarted with nothing open and cleared all paired items in the bluetooth menu

thx Lunk

does mac support the serial connection the the uno

Yes, when working Uno will show up as a "usbserial" or "usbmodem" device.

When you connect the Uno to your Mac, do you receive a pop-up dialog about "Network Device Detected"?

just plugged it in again nothing pops up, can not see,nothing detected look at network system preferences nothing there, power getting to board this is rite out the box never been flashed thx lunk

If you are not seeing the network pop-up, there isn't much you can do. It suggests the board isn't working correctly.

The only other suggestion I have is to use another cable, different USB port, and ensure you are not using a hub.

Ok thanks for getting back

will try your suggestions

Lunk

Could be that you need to update your USB drivers: http://geekscape.posterous.com/mac-os-x-17-lion-upgrading-ftdi-usb-serial-dr

I did that, but now seem to be crashing with each upload, so I hope I'm not steering you into further trouble...

GebThomas: Could be that you need to update your USB drivers: http://geekscape.posterous.com/mac-os-x-17-lion-upgrading-ftdi-usb-serial-dr

I did that, but now seem to be crashing with each upload, so I hope I'm not steering you into further trouble...

FTDI drivers have nothing to do with an Uno (or any Arduino using the ATmega8u2 for serial-to-USB.)

Hi Lunk,

I’m having the same problem with a Mac Mini at work. I’m running OSX 10.7.2 and using an Arduino UNO.
No network popup, nothing.

The same Arduino with the same USB cable etc… works perfectly on my macbook running Snow Leopard.
Also, I’m dual booting on this macbook and when I run Lion on this macbook the same Arduino works just fine: the network-popup comes up etc.

So it’s not the cable, not the FTDI driver (UNO doesn’t have a FTDI chip), not the Arduino and also not “just Lion”, because on one machine it works, on the other it doesn’t…

I’m trying to access the Arduino through an openframeworks (cpp) project where I do this to list the serial ports:

DIR *dir;
	dir = opendir("/dev");
	if (dir == NULL){
		cout << "ERROR Serial Port: error listing devices in /dev" <<endl;
	}

and of course this won’t open /dev to list the serial ports, so I get my ERROR message.

I’ll get to the bottom of this! :slight_smile:

tim.

ok, I’m in trouble… I have managed to get it working, but I have no idea how… :0 grrr!

The only thing I did was:

1. Download the arduino app to the mac mini (I had only tested the serial port with my own software)
  2. Start the Arduino app and open up the serial monitor to see that the serial port was working perfectly!??

So now I have no clue what could have changed by just opening the Arduino app… maybe a file permission thing?
Or maybe just me being stupid and not seeing something…

sorry Lunk!