USB - serial problem?

Hi, I’m new to arduino and looking for help in getting my UNO R3 clone to run properly. I purchased it from 16 Hz electronics via ebay. Here’s the link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/281402326698?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT. The USB chip is marked Atmel Mega 16U2. I’ve downloaded the rev 1.0.6 IDE. I’m running Windows 7 64bit.
My results depend on the sequence of computer re-booting and plugging in the board. The most promising result is when I’ve freshly booted my laptop and then inserted the USB cable. When I look at the device manager it shows the Arduino connected to the COM5 port and reports the device is working properly. When I attempt to run the Blink sketch I select UNO and COM5 on the Serial Port. After uploading the sketch I get an error saying:

This report would have more information with
“Show verbose output during compilation”
enabled in File > Preferences.
Arduino: 1.0.6 (Windows 7), Board: “Arduino Uno”
Binary sketch size: 1,082 bytes (of a 32,256 byte maximum)

processing.app.SerialException: Serial port ‘COM5’ already in use. Try quiting any programs that may be using it.

at processing.app.Serial.(Serial.java:171)

at processing.app.Serial.(Serial.java:77)

at processing.app.debug.Uploader.flushSerialBuffer(Uploader.java:77)

at processing.app.debug.AvrdudeUploader.uploadViaBootloader(AvrdudeUploader.java:175)

at processing.app.debug.AvrdudeUploader.uploadUsingPreferences(AvrdudeUploader.java:67)

at processing.app.Sketch.upload(Sketch.java:1666)

at processing.app.Sketch.exportApplet(Sketch.java:1622)

at processing.app.Sketch.exportApplet(Sketch.java:1594)

at processing.app.Editor$DefaultExportHandler.run(Editor.java:2382)

at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:619)

processing.app.debug.RunnerException: Serial port ‘COM5’ already in use. Try quiting any programs that may be using it.

at processing.app.debug.Uploader.flushSerialBuffer(Uploader.java:101)

at processing.app.debug.AvrdudeUploader.uploadViaBootloader(AvrdudeUploader.java:175)

at processing.app.debug.AvrdudeUploader.uploadUsingPreferences(AvrdudeUploader.java:67)

at processing.app.Sketch.upload(Sketch.java:1666)

at processing.app.Sketch.exportApplet(Sketch.java:1622)

at processing.app.Sketch.exportApplet(Sketch.java:1594)

at processing.app.Editor$DefaultExportHandler.run(Editor.java:2382)

at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:619)

If I try to uninstall the driver and/or go through other sequences of booting/connecting etc. I wind up with unknown device listed in the device manager. I then right click and attempt to update the driver by browsing to the arduino-1.0.6\drivers folder. It won’t let me select the arduino.inf file. When I click Next, it will usually say I already have the best driver installed. It still is listed as an unknown device and the driver source is listed as Microsoft instead of Arduino. The board’s power led is on and the led on pin 13 is blinking. I have also tried another USB cable and installing on another Windows computer.
I also purchased a different Arduino clone, a BUONO R3. I’ve had no problems installing or using it. It uses a different USB chip, a SILABS F321.
I’ve spent hours trying to get it going with no luck. Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

hello bardenbob,

i had nearly same problems.

my first arduinos (about 10 or more) all original arduino for about 25 € then i found some in the bay for less than 10 euro, so i ordered 10 pice. after 2 days lost by serching a missconfiguration at my computer i tryed to connect by the 6 pin spi using avrdude and a programmer-adapter, it worked fine. so i could test. at all 10 pice the usb-connection was not really good. somtimes, some arduino-clones did work, some usb-port of some computer (i have about 10 computers with different os) did work, some not. (most not)

after buying new 10 original arduinos i testetd first, all of them are working fine

last years i build about 100 arduino things, some are with clones made but in future i will use original, i had too much trouble