USB3.0

are there any plans to create a duemilanove board with usb3.0 in spite of usb2.0 connetor on? :sunglasses:

vote for speed !!!

umm… why?

Serial wont match USB2 Speeds anyway, not to speak of USB3…

This is a silly idea. Why unnecessarily raise the cost and complicate matters.

You’re forgetting KISS. A golden rule which you should follow in your designs.

No. Assuming that the current board IS USB3.0 compatible, and those USB guys DO tend to make things backward compatible!
There is certainly no point in supporting “superspeed” (> 480Mbps) on arduino; even speeds currently obtainable with USB1.1 are well beyond what is usually necessary…

Connected a Duemilanove and system profiler said this:

FT232R USB UART:

Product ID: 0x6001
Vendor ID: 0x0403 (Future Technology Devices International Limited)
Version: 6.00
Serial Number: A6008bL7
Speed: Up to 12 Mb/sec
Manufacturer: FTDI
Location ID: 0x1d200000
Current Available (mA): 500
Current Required (mA): 90

And considering I’ve never had any speed related issues, and I believe the Arduino maxes out at 115200bps, which is only 0.1Mbps I really can’t see a 5153960760bps (aprox;)) connection being of any advantage :wink:

Data rates aren’t all that the USB port offers. The USB3 supports more power in each configuration, such as powered buses offering 900mA instead of just 500mA. Power savings regime is also different, so perhaps the updated interfacing logic would support more sleep/idle/active/powered states.

The arduino has 32K of storage, 2K of ram, communicates at 115 kbaud and runs on a few milliamps, USB 3.0 has little more to offer the Arduino than USB 1.1. 900 mA rather than 500 mA will allow you run a few more indacator LEDS but anything serious (motors, servos and heavy duty LEDS to name a few) is still going to require external power.

I agree, no clear advantage to having USB 3.0 compatibility at this time as certainly such chips will carry a higher cost. After some time has passed and if there is no price premium I’m sure an upgraded FTDI serial converter chip would be OK I guess.

Lefty

Data rates aren’t all that the USB port offers. The USB3 supports more power in each configuration, such as powered buses offering 900mA instead of just 500mA. Power savings regime is also different, so perhaps the updated interfacing logic would support more sleep/idle/active/powered states.

Also the ability to send and receive data simultaneously, if I didn’t read something wrong… :stuck_out_tongue:

but that wouldnt be ‘real’ serial anymore, would it?

which doesnt really help considering as soon as it hits the arduino its ttl serial

I can see this being useful if you needed high speed communication, but as an add on for those who may need it, not as a standard thing

Woah I wasn’t supporting the idea, just thought it should be fully represented ;D.

wow :smiley: interesting replies I am following… go on answering :slight_smile:

In five or ten years when computers don’t have USB 2.X anymore, sure I’d want an Arudino with USB 3.X but I don’t see any point until that time comes.

In five or ten years when computers don’t have USB 2.X anymore, sure I’d want an Arudino with USB 3.X but I don’t see any point until that time comes.

USB 3.0 is backwards compatible, so even then it wouldn’t be needed :).

[momentary side track…]

My old electronics bench computer was a compaq P3 866mhz pizza box, but when I upgraded my desktop I had a spare computer and I gave it to a guy at work who’s wife just started school…

ANYWAY… it only had usb 1 on it, and no matter what I plugged into it winXP would pop up a ballon saying

“gee you know, you big dummy, if you plugged this into a usb 2.0 socket it would perform much faster”

and would not go away until you clicked it, it was pretty annoying, and I sure hope that this does not reappear in modern versions of windows when 3.0 becomes standard equipment

[/momentary side track…]

shudder I thought I had finished with that message. Gosh I hope it doesn’t make a comeback… :o