(USBasp, ubuntu 14.10) could not find USB device

I keep getting it message when i try to upload a sketch on to any of my boards using USBasp, i am quite new to linux systems, i have no idea what to do can most of the things i read online are too advance for my linux knowledge can someone walk me throught whati need to do to get it to work please?

avrdude: Warning: cannot query manufacturer for device: error sending control message: Operation not permitted avrdude: Warning: cannot query product for device: error sending control message: Operation not permitted avrdude: error: could not find USB device with vid=0x16c0 pid=0x5dc vendor='www.fischl.de' product='USBasp'

Is that a message when running the Arduino IDE, or are you calling avrdude from command line or scripts yourself ?

I made myself member of the 'dialout' group. And to run avrdude (with USBasp) from the command line, I have added a rule for the USBasp. I have still a few old USBasp, but I only use USBasp Version 2 now. Open a terminal and type 'lsusb', that shows all the usb devices, can you see the 0x16c0 0x05dc in that list ?