USBasp wont reset the ATMEGA328P

Hello everyone,

I have successfully programmed the bootloader to a ATMEGA328P chip using a USBasp programer (the Chinese version, Zadig driver for the USBasp and Arduino IDE), and I can upload an Arduino sketch like Blink. The problem is that when i push the reset button (i have a 10k pullup resistor), the chip doesnt reset properly (the LED diode doesn't flash 3 times like it should) it just turns off while I hold the button and when i release the button the program continues where it left off (the chip did nor reset).

Im using the 6 ICSP pins which i have connected to SCK, MISO, MOSI, RESET, VCC to + and GND to - on my breadboard. I have a 16MHz crystal oscillator conected. I have uploded a picture of the setup.

Any ideas to what is the problem? :slight_smile:

Normally an Arduino board has a bootloader, which causes a delay after reset and blinking the onboard LED. When you do an Upload Using Programmer you erase the bootloader and so you will no longer have that bootloader blink. This can actually be really nice because it's sometimes annoying to have that delay before your program starts running, especially with the bootloaders that have a long delay.

So, lack of a bootloader blinking LED is no evidence that "the chip doesnt reset properly".

pert:
Normally an Arduino board has a bootloader, which causes a delay after reset and blinking the onboard LED. When you do an Upload Using Programmer you erase the bootloader and so you will no longer have that bootloader blink. This can actually be really nice because it's sometimes annoying to have that delay before your program starts running, especially with the bootloaders that have a long delay.

So, lack of a bootloader blinking LED is no evidence that "the chip doesnt reset properly".

Thank you very much for clearing that up! :slight_smile: