Use a WiiChuck adapter to use trigger button click on android mobile screen?

Hi guys

This may not require an Arduino components, but I thought I would run this by you, as you Arduino fellas seem to have plenty of experience hacking Wii nunchuks...

So - as the subject suggests - I have a project where it would be great if I could somehow connect a wire from the nunchuk to the screen of a mobile phone and have one of the trigger buttons click on a specific area of the phone's screen...

The hope is that this can be done as simply as possible - perhaps circuitry/ground coming from the micro-USB port on the mobile phone itself..?

If this had to be done via a WiiChuk adapter - fine:

If I had to bypass the main PCB and intercept the wires from the 2 front buttons - also fine*
http://www.hardwaresphere.com/2009/05/04/x-ray-nintendo-wii-controllers/
*If this work with un-official wiichucks - the official ones are bloody expensive.

Anyway - fingers crossed one of you can see a solution.

Either way - major thanks in advance.

Paul

if I could somehow connect a wire from the nunchuk to the screen of a mobile phone

I'd like to win the lottery, too, with the need for buying a lottery ticket.

How do you realistically expect to stick a wire on the mobile phone touch screen and have the wire press that section of the screen? Gluing a servo on the phone, and having it push on the screen is more likely to produce useful input to the phone.

Guess I'll be having more luck with this than you will on the lottery PaulS :wink:

I knew I'd seen something like it before - but my question is could it be done minus Arduino - again utilising the phone's USB and a button click to switchto ground?

Apologies for my ignorance - my electronics knowledge is small and growing but slowly...(very slowly)

PaulS:

if I could somehow connect a wire from the nunchuk to the screen of a mobile phone

I'd like to win the lottery, too, with the need for buying a lottery ticket.

How do you realistically expect to stick a wire on the mobile phone touch screen and have the wire press that section of the screen? Gluing a servo on the phone, and having it push on the screen is more likely to produce useful input to the phone.

I believe the Wii Chuck uses I2C protocol....

so you'd need to break out all those lines..

(SDA/SCL/V+/GND)

and then what?

IMHO.. you'd have to use 'something' to parse this data.. and make it do something based on that data..

xl97:
I believe the Wii Chuck uses I2C protocol....

so you'd need to break out all those lines..

(SDA/SCL/V+/GND)

and then what?

IMHO.. you'd have to use 'something' to parse this data.. and make it do something based on that data..

Thanks xl97 - I really appreciate the info and can comfortably discount the breakout board - I am just wanting a quick and dirty solution for a proof-of-concept.

Again - the demo above suggests that a captivate touchscreen can be triggered electronically by connection to ground, though I'm not sure I'm understanding it correctly...hence why I thought here might be a good place to see if anyone had experience dabbling with something similar.

How about the option of bypassing the WiiChuck PCB and just using the wires directly from the trigger buttons to complete a circuit? TBH the fact that I am using a WiiChuck is more a question of size, shape, and availability - theoretically it could be any joystick trigger.

As it happens I found another set of posts asking a similar question, with an-depth explanation suggesting the use of grounded coax cable (yet with no suggested optimum length)?!
http://dics.voicecontrol.ro/process_mails/arata_discutia/132758/Triggering_a_multi-touch_capacitive_touch_screen.html

But with no evidence of success I guess that would be one of those suck it and see suggestions.

I guess I just dont see HOW you can use ONLY the Wii-Chuck?

and nothing else?

it'd be like taking a button/switch soldering two wires to it.. and taping to yoru phoen screen..

what is it gonna do? (nothing)

there is no power
no ground
and nothing to handle the data/signals..

grab a tiny Arduino pro-mini or something.. and get to testing..

I'd research the phone/screen a bit myself.. (as I dont know much about them) and see what about of voltage/current it can handle..etc..

using a Wii-Cuck and Arduino seems like it would be a fairly easy task?

Sincere thanks again for the info, but my idea was more a case of one wire to a metal slug attached to the screen, one wire to ground (perhaps the ground on the phones micro USB socket), and a button/switch/trigger between the two.

Again - not sure if using ground alone was how it was being done in the demo above…

xl97:
I guess I just dont see HOW you can use ONLY the Wii-Chuck?

and nothing else?

it’d be like taking a button/switch soldering two wires to it… and taping to yoru phoen screen…

what is it gonna do? (nothing)

there is no power
no ground
and nothing to handle the data/signals…

grab a tiny Arduino pro-mini or something… and get to testing…

I’d research the phone/screen a bit myself… (as I dont know much about them) and see what about of voltage/current it can handle…etc…

using a Wii-Cuck and Arduino seems like it would be a fairly easy task?