Use Nano as an HID game controller?

Hi,
I have a set of knobs and buttons I'd like to set up as an HID game controller.
I don't see any documentation on how to do this. I've done some googling, but I'm not sure what I've found can be used with a Nano.
Could someone point me in the right direction, please?
Thanks.

You can't use a Nano for that. I suggest that you get an Arduino Micro or a SparkFun ProMicro.

sterretje:
You can't use a Nano for that. I suggest that you get an Arduino Micro or a SparkFun ProMicro.

How do I know which one can or can't?

Both that I mentioned can do; I advised those because they are small (seeing that you were planning on using a Nano). Look for boards that have so-called native USB.

I don't think there is a complete list but all boards with 32U4 will qualify (e.g. Arduino Leonardo).

There are some Teensies from pjrc (can't give you models) and the Arduino Due as well.

There are others.

Thanks very much! I'll go with a 32u4 for sure!

Hi again,
So I have a micro and I've learned how to work with a rotary encoder switch.
Do I use a shift-register to add all of my encoder switches and buttons? I have 8 buttons and 2 encoder switches.
How would I go about doing this?

Have you counted the number of pins that you need? And compare it with the number of available pins on the Arduino Micro?

If you ever want to expand, use shift registers or (I2C or SPI) port expanders. Expansion can mean more inputs or more outputs to e.g. drive LEDs.

sterretje:
Have you counted the number of pins that you need? And compare it with the number of available pins on the Arduino Micro?

If I can configure TXO and RXI as digital inputs, it shouldn't be a problem. Looking at the pinout, nothing explicitly says otherwise.

Now I just need to figure out how to get this to tell window's that it's a game controller.

i see that there's a keyboard library. maybe I could just use that.

The IDE comes with a Keyboard library and a Mouse library.

I'm giving this a try now:

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.