Use of an Arduino???

HELP! I am in the beginning stages of developing a new idea. I am still exploring ways to initiate my sequence of events. My final objective will be to provide current to some sort of linier solenoid or another such device to unlock a “micro” sized slide bolt lock. However, At this point I need to know if an Arduino might work for starting the process. I want to have an individual pairing of “key “or “chip” and sensor to complete a circuit that along with a tiny battery would provide current to the mentioned solenoid or other device. I want the “key/chip” pairing to on work only with each other so that I can have many individual pairings for other individual devices. Size is very important... the smaller the better. I will have very limited space in this application. (think smaller than a wedding ring box.)

Is this possible with an Arduino?

Sure. Use a small Arduino like A promini, or a small board like this, which can be made even smaller if needed.

http://www.crossroadsfencing.com/CycleGadget_3_boards.jpg

me being the least likely person to get this thing right... is there any place for someone with little knowledge to find instructions on putting together the system I described above?

Thanks for your input. :blush:

Mouse1956: me being the least likely person to get this thing right... is there any place for someone with little knowledge to find instructions on putting together the system I described above?

You've given almost no details about how it's going to work. Given your question, I guess this is because you don't know yet.

I suggest that you start by deciding what sort of technology you're going to use to enable the sensor to detect the presence and identity of the associated 'key'. Then work out what hardware you'd need on the sending and receiving side for that technology to be used, and source the hardware for a prototype. You will also need to decide how you're going to operate the bolt. If you use a solenoid, you need to identify one that has enough force and throw to operate the bolt, and find out what voltage and current it requires. It's not clear whether you want to operate the bolt in both directions. If you do, then note that not all solenoids work in both directions. If you do use a solenoid, you'll need a driver circuit to control it. An H-bridge motor driver with a suitable current and voltage rating would be the easiest solution, but there are lots of alternatives. You might consider using a servo instead of a solenoid - in this case you would not need a separate driver circuit since the servo takes care of all that for you.

You might have some circuit design to do - you could use a solderless breadboard for that or build it up on stripboard. I guess this will include an Arduino on the receiving side. Then learn how to use an Arduino, starting from simple examples and working up to your own sketches. Learn how to do each of the things your solution needs the Arduino to do. Once you have the parts working, start bringing them together to form your overall solution.

If you tackle this one step at a time, there's no reason you can't do this. If you get stuck, there are plenty of people here to give you suggestions of how to tackle the problem. (However, don't expect people to do the work for you, unless you're willing to pay them for their time.)

Sounds fair enough to me. Thanks for your input. It may come down to me having to pay someone to build this for me. I have an idea that might make a difference. However, I am not sure it will or should wait on my slow learning curve to catch up. If I decide to have this built... do I locate people on this forum who have that interest and ability?

Thank again.

Mouse1956: If I decide to have this built... do I locate people on this forum who have that interest and ability?

Take a look at the Gigs and Collaboration section.

The pairing could be 4 pins that connect the host to +3.3V, Gnd, and SCL/SDA on a slave chip, you read out some bytes and decide if you want to unlock or not. The slide lock could be a tiny servo that rotates an arm into place, or back out to unlock. http://www.hobby-lobby.com/micro_servos_261_ctg.htm