Use of Arduino in R&D project

I'm new to electric circuits and Arduino, but I'm an experienced programmer. I'm wondering what value Arduino has in an R&D project.

• If I create a working example with Arduino can this be easily transformed in a layout to produce an electrical circuit?
  • The programming of advanced items will take a long time. Can the Arduino Code I create be used in production items? Or does the code has to be rewritten in a more efficient or professional language.

Thanks in advance!

If I create a working example with Arduino can this be easily transformed in a layout to produce an electrical circuit?

Yes. There are a number of resources regarding creating 'standalone' arduinos. One is Arduino Playground - HomePage.

The programming of advanced items will take a long time. Can the Arduino Code I create be used in production items? Or does the code has to be rewritten in a more efficient or professional language.

The 'Arduino Code' is C/C++, which has been considered both efficient and professional for quite some time.

Yes, it's easy to move a design from Arduino to your own Atmel-based hardware. I strongly advise that you include a 6-pin ICSP header in your design so that you can [re]program the mcu. This in turn has implications for pin assignment. See Prototyping small embedded projects with Arduino | David Crocker's Solutions blog for more.