use of ethernet shield as input device

Hi!!

Im trying to fetch data through some data logger device which is having only RJ45 interfacing, so im trying to connect this data logger with arduino with the help of ethernet shield. So can ethernet shield act as input device for arduino to collect data from data logger?

if yes then what will be process?

another thing is that Im planning to upload that fetched data (collect from ethernet shield ) to cloud through ESP8266 wifi module.
So is this possible to use both (ethernet shield and wifi module simultneously through single arduino)?

I understand what you are asking, it is a tough project. The first thing is to be sure it the RJ45 is in fact ethernet, not something else. To be honest, no offense, I think this is currently above your head but with some time and some work on your end you will make it happen. Assuming it is ethernet consider using an Arduino Mega with with the ethernet shield, that will give you enough serial capability and RAM to accomplish what your desire. Then you can transfer it to a smaller unit if you like. The reason for this is i assume you have to send data to the data logger to get it to respond. The ethernet communications is via packets which you have to decode not byte by byte. You may need an SD or FRAM shield for added memory.
Have Fun, and Good Luck!
Gil

Alright! Thank you for your suggesion, However I have to complete this project and still Im not clear about this.

gilshultz:
i assume you have to send data to the data logger to get it to respond.

No, its one way communication in which ethernet shield is act as master to fatch data from Data-logger(real time readings)

So, there must be some interface on the logger to configure the network parameters etc., or perhaps a PC based application to talk with the logger via the network interface.

Do you have a link to the logger datasheet or manual?

If not, you’ll be waiting for a while.

lastchancename:
Do you have a link to the logger datasheet or manual?

correct,
There is a PC based software to talk with logger, right now my logger is connected through LAN so that it can be communicate with network. IP based interfacing is done by software to measure, monitor and record data.

Data logger manual link is mentioned below: