Use passed array value's as argument in function

I have a few leds and i want to control them with a function, but the array doesn’t seems to arrive at the function.

Here’s my code

void setup() {
  for (int i = 2; i < 8; i++) {
    pinMode(i, OUTPUT);//setting pins to OUTPUT
  }
  int leds[] = {1,4,5,7};//make array
  arrayLeds(leds);//turn all leds on in the array
}

void loop() {}//no loop today

int arrayLeds(int array[]) {
  int size = sizeof(array) / sizeof(int);//get lenght of the array
  for (int i = 0; i < size; i++) {
    digitalWrite(array[i],HIGH); //loop through array to turn led on
  }
}

Maybe if you set the pins you're using to be outputs?
It's a bad idea to hijack the serial pins - you may want to use them for debug purposes.

int size = sizeof(array) / sizeof(int);

size = 1

int arrayLeds(int array[]) {
  int size = sizeof(array) / sizeof(int);//get lenght of the array
  }
}

The function doesn’t get the whole array by value. The function gets a pointer to the array. So inside this function, sizeof returns 2 which is the size of a pointer.

This is a common pitfall. There’s no way around it. If the array argument isn’t going to be a fixed size every time, then you’ll have to pass the size along as another argument.

int arrayLeds(int array[], int size) {
  }
}

Called as:

arrayLeds(leds , sizeof(leds)/sizeof(int));

An alternative is to terminate the array with a special number.

const int END = -1;

void turnOn(int* leds)
{
    int pin;
    while ((pin = *leds++) != END)
      digitalWrite(pin, HIGH);
  }
}

int leds[] = {1,4,5,7, END};
turnOn(leds);

Even better is to put the vector in program memory but that is another story.

Cheers!

Better still is not to use an "int", when a "uint8_t" will suffice

How about a bit vector?

void turnOn(uint16_t leds)
{
  uint16_t mask = 1;
  for (uint8_t pin = 0; pin < 16; pin++) {
    if (mask & leds)
      digitalWrite(pin, HIGH);
    mask <<=1;
  }
}

uint16_t LED(uint8_t pin)
{
  return (1 << pin);
}

uint16_t leds = LED(2) + LED(4) + LED(7);
turnOn(leds);

Cheers!

Delta_G:
The function doesn't get the whole array by value. The function gets a pointer to the array. So inside this function, sizeof returns 2 which is the size of a pointer.

I missed that. I would have thought that sizeof(x) where x is an array type of unknown size should have generated a compilation error. sizeof() should be using the lvalue, not the rvalue.

This form:

arrayLeds(leds , sizeof(leds)/sizeof(int));

is fine when the array is an int. However, a generalized form can be used with any array type, not just int. One way would be:

arrayLeds(leds , sizeof(leds)/sizeof(leds[0]));

so the function could use something other that an int if the signature of arrayLeds() is changed. I also like:

#define ELEMENTCOUNT(x) (sizeof(x) / sizeof(x[0])

// some code...

for (i = 0; i < ELEMENTCOUNT(leds); i++) {
      // more code...

That advantage is that the macro is “typeless” and can be used with any array type.

PaulMurrayCbr:
I missed that. I would have thought that sizeof(x) where x is an array type of unknown size should have generated a compilation error. sizeof() should be using the lvalue, not the rvalue.

In this case, x is a pointer to int, not an array of unknown size. sizeof (int *) == sizeof x, and on Arduino that is 2.

PaulMurrayCbr:

If you look at the generated code, you will see that what it does is perfectly logical. The argument the function actually receives is a pointer, NOT an array. So, sizeof returns the size of the argument, which is the size of a pointer. This is by design, and how c has always been defined c since it was first introduced in the '70s. Were it not so, a huge amount of time, and RAM, would be wasted copying whole arrays to the stack on function calls.

Regards,
Ray L.