Useful Uno Item... Really.

I found another useful Uno Item today on Ebay... Really useful. A mount for an Uno or Leonardo... (I bought 3) http://www.ebay.com/itm/181195908587 Check it out... It really looks useful.

Doc

$3. I wonder how much it cost to print it?

i tend to put an antistatic bag under my boards or a business card.

nice find :)

bigred1212: $3. I wonder how much it cost to print it?

About $500-$2000 if you don't have a 3D printer.

cjdelphi: i tend to put an antistatic bag under my boards

Since anti-static bags are purposely conductive, that's about the worst thing to put "under" them.

[quote author=James C4S link=topic=192146.msg1420052#msg1420052 date=1381201396]

bigred1212: $3. I wonder how much it cost to print it?

About $500-$2000 if you don't have a 3D printer.

cjdelphi: i tend to put an antistatic bag under my boards

Since anti-static bags are purposely conductive, that's about the worst thing to put "under" them. [/quote]

Anti static bags are conductive?

Where's my multimeter.....

cjdelphi: Anti static bags are conductive?

That's the whole point. They are a plastic covered in a thin layer of metalization to form a faraday cage around whatever is inside them.

They are, by definition, conductive.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antistatic_bag

To create the anti-static effect, the black or silver bags are slightly conductive, forming a Faraday cage around the item ...

[quote author=James C4S link=topic=192146.msg1420052#msg1420052 date=1381201396] About $500-$2000 if you don't have a 3D printer. [/quote] Gee, that was helpful.

[quote author=James C4S link=topic=192146.msg1420072#msg1420072 date=1381203216] They are, by definition, conductive. [/quote]

Grab a multimeter and try it. I can't measure any conduction in mine.

bigred1212:

[quote author=James C4S link=topic=192146.msg1420052#msg1420052 date=1381201396]
About $500-$2000 if you don’t have a 3D printer.

Gee, that was helpful.
[/quote]

And highly accurate.

I think you are asking for how much it cost for the raw plastic filament. But that has no more to do with the cost of this than the cost of sand and a quart of oil have to do with how much it “costs” to make a cell phone.

It probably took a few hours to design, a number of test prints that each took about 30 to 45 minutes with prep time and depending on the 3D printer speed, and finally about 20 to 30 minutes each to print. Don’t forget to amortize the cost of the 3D printer over the actual number of sellable parts printed.

The cost of the plastic is usually inconsequential to the time it takes. There is probably less than 25 cents in plastic filament, if you don’t count the test prints.

polymorph: And highly accurate pendantic.

FTFY.

Less than 25 cents of plastic. That's what I wanted to know. Thanks.

bigred1212:

polymorph: And highly accurate pendantic.

FTFY.

Well I was going for joke, not pedantic.

Filament is roughly $50USD for 1kg. Something like that bracket would be a few grams.

It's cool. No worries. A nickel a gram for filament is a really good piece of baseline info. Thanks.

I think that item does look useful.

Don't quote me and then change it.

And if you wanted to know the cost of plastic per gram, it is simple enough to find out.

When people ask the cost of a car, they want to know $12,000 or $28,000 or however much the car costs. They don’t want to hear “Well, the plant costs $180 million and the tools were x and the design costs were y and …”

James was trying to make a joke, and he said so. You were being highly pendantic, and I said so.

And if you wanted to know the cost of plastic per gram, it is simple enough to find out.

I did want to know how much it cost to print it, and that is why I asked the question. Not being a 3-D printing god figure, now I know I must ask for the cost of plastic per gram to be understood by some.

But all of this goes far afield from the interesting and useful item Docedison has brought to our attention.

bigred1212: When people ask the cost of a car, they want to know $12,000 or $28,000 or however much the car costs. They don't want to hear "Well, the plant costs $180 million and the tools were x and the design costs were y and ....."

I once heard the cost of an IC described as, "The first one costs several million dollars, and the rest are a nickel apiece."

At the risk of going further afield :D

You didn't ask the cost of the car. You asked how much it cost to print it. You didn't ask the cost of the materials, although I guessed that was what you meant.