uses for Adafruit mini pan-tilt assembly

I purchased the unassembled Adafruit mini pan-tilt assembly Unassembled Mini Pan-Tilt Kit (Without Micro Servos) : ID 1968 : $4.95 : Adafruit Industries, Unique & fun DIY electronics and kits and also servos to go with it.

Anyway, I followed the instructions for the assembly Getting Started | Mini Pan-Tilt Kit Assembly | Adafruit Learning System

I have the kit assembled, but there isn't any code to test it out.

I bought the kit intending to build the Pixy Pet Robot Overview and Materials | Pixy Pet Robot - Color vision follower | Adafruit Learning System before realizing that it only worked with a Leonardo.

Any ideas on what I can use the pan-tilt assembly for?

but there isn't any code to test it out.

Google "arduino control servo" to find about 474,000 useful hints.

Another hint: do not use the Arduino to power the servo, as that could damage the Arduino or cause it to malfunction. Use a 4xAA battery pack and connect all the ground leads.

The Pixy camera will work with any Arduino. Adafruit's example was written specifically for the Leonardo, so you may need to modify the example to use another type of Arduino.

jremington:
Another hint: do not use the Arduino to power the servo, as that could damage the Arduino or cause it to malfunction. Use a 4xAA battery pack and connect all the ground leads.

Good to know.
The Adafruit video seems to show that the servos are being powered by a PC's USB port. The servos are being controlled by their Trinket Pro.

It looks like I can run a simple sketch to sweep each of the servos using the simple sketch https://www.arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/Sweep

The Adafruit web page authors are certainly capable of giving very bad advice, and suggestions to power motors/servos from Arduinos is an example which does appear on their pages.

However, one should take videos with a grain of salt.

Their goal is simplicity. If the tutorial looks like I can do it, I am more likely to buy it.
Powering from the arduino is simple and it works in very simple demos.
But as soon as you try to draw more current, it fails.
I suppose that they are showing how it can be done with the fewest components.
And the really cannot cover all combinations of power requirements in a simple demo.

But, Yes, do plan on a separate power supply for the mechanical components.