using 256 LED array with a arduino mini (hooking up power supply)

Hello everyone so im planning on using the arduino mini to control my 256 LED array, which is this

it has a 5V,GND,DIN on one side and 5V and GND in the middle

im aware that arduino can not provide enough power so a separate power source will be needed. I have a 5 volt 12 AMP power supply,im just a little confused on how to hook it up. Do i connect the arduino 5 volt, V+ of the power supply and 5V of the LED strip all in one connection? Ive seen diagrams where all the 5 volt pins are connected together and some where only the ground is connected. Im not to sure how to wire it with this particular 256 LED array. Some one also said to use a capacitor on the 5 Volt and ground of the arduino pin but again alot of different information. What would be the proper way to connect the power supply and arduino to this strip? Do I just only use the Data pin of the arduino and only the power supply for all the 5 volt and ground connections of the LED array? Thank you for any clarification.

Any one have experience with how to power something like this?

Do i connect the arduino 5 volt, V+ of the power supply and 5V of the LED strip all in one connection?

No.

Ive seen diagrams where all the 5 volt pins are connected together

You sure of that? As a rule you never connect both the positive and negitave of separate power supplies together. But you almost always connect the grounds together. The only time you don't is if the signals between the two are isolated with something like an opto isolater.

Some one also said to use a capacitor on the 5 Volt and ground ...

Yes.

..... of the arduino pin

No, on the back of the display is best, and I would connect a separate one on each of the three power connections. The value should be 1000uF or bigger.

I would put a resistor with a value between 220R and 510R in line with the data pin and connect only the ground of the Arduino to the ground of your extra power supply.