using 328p in production.

Thinking of using these in a production device. In order to make duplicates of chips quickly, I'm looking for some advice..

Can we just take a hex file and load it into a device to then burn chip after chip? (Like we can with PICs and a Pickit3.)

Do we need to set fuses first on these chips, needing a separate step?

I haven't deciding whether there's a need to include bootloader on these. Advice?

Have you seen this?
Fast Programming

And:
HERE

You can use a programmer like this to do fuses, flash, and eeprom, all with 1 button push.

These all seem interesting.

The ADAFruit may be troublesome as it's a bit fiddly. "The only downside is that its very specialized, once you set it up the programmer can only do one chip (in general) with one HEX file."
The other device looks like it does it all, but $189 seems a tiny but rich.

If I use a computer and can skip the bootloader, can I use something like a USBtinyisp and just the hex file and AVRdude? Or would I still need to set fuses?

Sounds like you already had a plan.

db2db:
If I use a computer and can skip the bootloader, can I use something like a USBtinyisp and just the hex file and AVRdude? Or would I still need to set fuses?

avrdude and a USBtinyISP can be used to set fuses and program a .HEX file into an ATmega328p chip.

If you’re “using these in a production device” and you need non-technical folks programming cards for you, the Kanda will be a time/cost saver.
Program it once, show them how to plug it on the ICSP header, press the button and wait 30 seconds or so for it to stop flashing. Pull it off and on to the next board.
No need to have a computer nearby, only 1 cable to deal with. When battery eventually gets low the green light won’t flash anymore (flashes red I think) so they’ll have a good indicator they need to change the battery.

Or, have your source pre-program the chips for you.

Atmega328P-PU, Atmega328P-AU:

This part can be programmed by Digi-Key; for details please contact our custom department at 1-800-344-4539 x5725 or custom.orders@digikey.com

You can even script the whole thing using just AVRDUDE:
Firmware Dup

Ray

Thanks Ray