using 60 lb solenoid with power supply

i have a "door popper" solenoid rated at 60lbs
here is a link to it:

i also have a 12v 15 amp regulated power supply that i would like to use with it.
i tried quickly tapping the solenoids power wire to my power supply. the solinoid definatly kicks back like it should but it produces a very large spark and overloads my power supply. the multimeter reads very very low resistance across the solinoid. I cant find any specs but i assume this thing just draws way to many amps????

is it typical that solenoids need some sort of regulator before the power supply?

judging by the size i would geuss even half the power of this thing would be sufficient for my project.

can i use a potentiometer on the power wire?
could anyone guess what size or type of potentiometer I could try?

A diode across the solenoid is needed to kill the kickback voltage (spark).
A 1N540x could be ok.
The solenoid should be switched with a logic level mosfet with a low Rds(on).
Use the first diagram on this page.
Leo…

i also have a L298N Dual H-Bridge Motor Controller. will it to solve the problem you are talking about?

taterking:
i also have a L298N Dual H-Bridge Motor Controller. will it to solve the problem you are talking about?

Ah, a solution looking for a problem! No it won't. Use the diode.

Paul

i would assume there must be a module that contains the circuit you are mentioning

is this what what you are talking about?

ebay link

also i think its very important that i limit the draw from the solinoid to approximatly half. its very large!!!

taterking:
i would assume there must be a module that contains the circuit you are mentioning

is this what what you are talking about?

ebay link

also i think its very important that i limit the draw from the solinoid to approximatly half. its very large!!!

With that board/mosfet, the current has to be less than 10 amps. Since they don't identify the transistor and manufacturer, you will never know the real specifications. I guess try it and see if you get smoke.

Paul

the power supply is only 15 amps. if this thing draws 10 then it will also probably break what it will be pushing! ive been googling hopfully i can limit the amps supplied by reducing voltage to the control pin on the module. i did much searching. most the solinoids advertised for the arduino where far too small impact for my project. i couldnt find one just the right size. this one was the smallest i seen in the 12 volt catagory i seen for heavy duty.

Buy a device with specification, not something with no information. We don't even know if its AC or DC
nor the operating current voltage or duty cycle.

Those door poppers seem to be made for cars (12volt DC).
I doubt that it will draw more than 15Amps, but you should measure that if you're using a mains power supply.
Could always use a small 12volt/7Ah SLA battery and a plugpack SLA charger.
Like in a car, they should be used for a very short time (milliseconds to seconds).
Leo..