Using 9v power supply with 6v servos

I'd like to use a 9v power supply to power up an arduino board and a bunch of servos. Servo input range is 4.8v to 6v. What's the recommended way of wiring these up? I thought of assembling a LM317 9v to 6v circuit. Is that overkill?

Is it a battery or wall power?

If it´s a power supply like

http://www.ebay.de/itm/EU-DC-9V-1000mA-Power-Plug-Adapter-for-Arduino-Mega-2560-1280-UNO-R3-A107-/251100276236?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a76be260c#ht_2364wt_1163

this one then you can just plug the servos into 5V pin on the Arduino

If it´s a battery I would recommend using an external power supply like 3 AA batteries. Then you only have to connect the positive and negative on the servo to the batteries and the 3rd wire goes to a digital pin on the Arduino.

I thought of assembling a LM317 9v to 6v circuit. Is that overkill?

No, it's a underkill. A LM317 is I believe a 1 amp max device? If so that would be about right to power one servo, certainly not a 'bunch' of servos. Allow at least one amp current capacity for each servo you are going to be controlling and you are bound to have less problems and frustration in your project.

Lefty

And if you do use a voltage regulators remember to include the decoupling capacitors on both sides. Servos generate a lot of electrical noise that can disrupt your arduino.

A UBEC like below is probably best for voltage conversion.