Using a Continuous Rotation Servo to move in small steps.

Hello Everyone,

I am trying to use a continuous rotation servo to turn a small knob. I need to turn the knob from 0 - 270 deg, slowly over about 10 min time. My programing skills are more or less non existent, so simple is better. Should I just get a regular servo and live with the range of 0 -180 deg?

Thanks,
-Spatsy

What is wrong with using your continuous servo?

(but pre-empting the regular solution perhaps FYI you should know that many regular servos will operate a little (and sometimes a lot) beyond their 180deg range...)

Im not able to get the servo to turn 1 deg and stop for say 10 sec.

Spatsy:
Im not able to get the servo to turn 1 deg and stop for say 10 sec.

That's because it's not really a servo, rather it's an electric motor whose speed and direction is controlled by a PWM signal. My advice would be to use a regular servo or a stepper motor.

Thanks Heli,

So to code it with a reg servo I would just say: pos 0 delay 10000ms pos 1 delay 10000ms and so on untill 180?

Spatsy:
So to code it with a reg servo I would just say: pos 0 delay 10000ms pos 1 delay 10000ms and so on untill 180?

Yes.

However the Arduino can't do anything else during the delay() period whereas if you use millis() to manage timing it can do other things. See several things at a time.

And a sail-winch servo can do about 3 full revolutions with position control.

...R

Thank you all for you help and quick response. I went with a traditional servo and made my life a lot easier. Thanks again!