Using a GSM shield and a voice sensor

Hello all! I am fairly new (actually extremely new) to arduino. I bought a arduino uno and I have a voice sensor and a GSM sheild. Now what I would like to do, is every time the voice sensor hears a sound, I receve a text to my phone. Just a basic "a noise has been detected" sms message. Eventually I would like to not have the arduino connected to my computer at all and have it powered via external power source but still receive the notification text and have it operational. Does anyone know if this is possible? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Like I said I am new and I am still learning everything! Even the language.

It all hinges on the voice sensor really. Which one (link?), and what does it do when it detects a sound? Once you have that part sorted out you can trigger the sending of a text message / SMS.

dannable:
It all hinges on the voice sensor really. Which one (link?), and what does it do when it detects a sound? Once you have that part sorted out you can trigger the sending of a text message / SMS.

Hi dannable. I was looking at this one eBay. Basically I was hoping to use the voice sensor as a switch. One it senses a noice about a certain Db it sends a signal to the arduino, therefore triggering the text message/ SMS. Even if I could do it over WiFi instead ad a actually text it would work too. Thanks!

That looks like a typical sensor output - it has both digital and analog outputs and you set the threshold of the digital output with the potentiometer.

dannable:
That looks like a typical sensor output - it has both digital and analog outputs and you set the threshold of the digital output with the potentiometer.

So I could use it as a output like a switch? How do I send a preset message and have it send the same message via SMS with the GSM sheild when it receives a signal from the sensor?

I sweepingly general terms :smiley: connect the digital output to one of the Arduino pins, set it for input and in your sketch keep checking the state of the pin. Once it has changed state then send a text / SMS. There is a very simple way to send an SMS in the link in my signature. Pin settings depend on which GSM/GPRS shield you have / get.

dannable:
I sweepingly general terms :smiley: connect the digital output to one of the Arduino pins, set it for input and in your sketch keep checking the state of the pin. Once it has changed state then send a text / SMS. There is a very simple way to send an SMS in the link in my signature. Pin settings depend on which GSM/GPRS shield you have / get.

Thank you dannable!!! You're helping me a lot! However, could you please provide a example of how I would have the arduino check the state of the pin?

digitalRead(pin_number)

Thank you!