Using a Nano instead of Uno3 to operate DC motors

OK I have the Logitech G29 Wheel and Pedal setup that I use for my Racing Sim. On YouTube there is a gentleman (amstudio) who has used motors on the Gas and Brake pedals to give some realism to the Sim. To achieve this he used a Uno 3 and a motor shield. The motors used are those that you'd find in the XBox/PS4 controllers. It's my understanding that the Uno 3, Nano and Micro are the same in its basic form, meaning that the sketch he uses can be used on all 3. If this is true then I want to use the smallest footprint to achieve the Rumble effect. Question is how do I wire up the Nano to do this and with the motors as small as they are is it really necessary to have a motor shield or H bridges? As it was said I shouldn't add links to the idea in question I have taken a picture of his Uno setup. My aim here is to make it the smallest as it can be and still do the function of this mod' as this will be its only function. Any ideas on how best to go about this, thanks in advance!

Hello draziw,

If I were you I would just get ahold of a small motor driver that can run as many motors as you need (such as Sparkfun one or similar SparkFun Motor Driver - Dual TB6612FNG (1A) - ROB-14451 - SparkFun Electronics).

You need some sort of driver as the boards themselves cannot produce enough amps (or will damage themselves trying to anyway) not to mention that the Nano 33's, which is the sub-forum you are on, can only take/produce 3.3V on their ports.

Other small footprint solution can include using N-Channel Mosfets to do the job but then you would need spec "Logic Level" ones which will "open" enough with a 3.3V signal (or you can use a logic shifter but then you might as well just get a motor driver which does the same thing). But this would limit the function to more an on/off level unless you are willing to make it more complicated, which then ends up once again back at a motor-driver-sized solution!

Hope that helps,
Matt

The DualShock 4 controller has a power rating of 5V 800ma (0.8amps), this is the power the controller needs to operate normally and charge.

XBoxOne Controller is rated at 5v @ 450mA.

This is what I could find about the power needed to operate the controllers. Again do I really need motor drivers to accomplish this mod??

Hello draziw,

Yes you will need some sort of driver as the maximum current for input/output pins is typically around 40mA so at best you won't be able to properly run the motor, at worst you could damage the board.

If size is an issue, you can look at smaller boards such as a Pro Micro or Mini (the knock-offs work fine) or even something like a Beetle Beetle_SKU_DFR0282-DFRobot so long as you only need 4 pins to connect to the motor driver(s). That way the overall footprint is similar to a Nano/Uno in total.

Hope that helps,
Matt

I do have some Pro Micro’s and with the TB6612FNG I should beable to make this work, thanks for the heads up, much appreciate!!

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.