Using a power supply to control a relay.

I have a pretty basic question about how to wire and use a simple power supply.

I have a simple 5v breadboard power supply (MB102). I want to use it to control a 5v relay. I want the relay to switch when power is turned on or off on the power supply.

I can get my project tow work if I wire it through an arduino board.
Arduino 5v to relay +
arduino ground to relay -
Arduino 5v to relay "S".

With this setup the relay switches when power to the arduino is turned on and off. (It also switches if I plug and unplug the "S"line.

For some reason I cannot recreate this simple setup with my power supply. The power supply is set to deliver 5V. I wire as follows:
Power supply 5v to relay +
Power supply GND to relay -
Power supply 5v to relay "S"

When I plug this in I do not here the "click" of the relay switching. I also note the led on the power supply turns on but is dimmer than usual. I measured the voltage the power supply generates when connected to my circuit and it has dropped from 5v to under 3.

I figure the power supply is a dud or more likely I am missing some pretty fundamental knowledge of how electricity works in these projects.

Power supply: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/180936853408?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

relay: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/142221802900?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&var=441288921240&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Further info. I am in Canada. The power supply is powered by a wall plug sending 12V, 1.5A. This is my first time using the power supply. I tested it on its own and it seems to output 10V on the 5v setting and 3.5 volts on the 3.3. setting.

Sounds like it might be the power supply that is the problem.

“Further info. I am in Canada.”
Well that must be the problem.

Maximum output current: <700 ma
Looks like you might have a bad PCB.

How are you measuring the voltage?

Show us the wiring when you are measuring the voltage while trying to energize the relay.

larryd:
"Further info. I am in Canada."
Well that must be the problem.

We need a rousing round of "Blame Canada"

Also, +1 for show us your wiring. A pic of a hand drawn diagram is OK.

"Oh Canada"
Sorry, sorry, sorry . . . eh!

Here is a drawing of how I wired things.

When I measured the voltage of the power supply alone I simply removed the three wires connecting the relay.

Here is a drawing of how I wired things.

When I measured the voltage of the power supply alone I simply removed the three wires connecting the relay.

IMG_2400.JPG