Using Adafruit capacitive touch shield with Max

Hey guys!

So I just ordered this part (CAP1188 - 8-Key Capacitive Touch Sensor Breakout - I2C or SPI : ID 1602 : $7.95 : Adafruit Industries, Unique & fun DIY electronics and kits) for use in a project that uses Firmata to speak to Max/MSP (using the Arduino2Max patcher). I was just wondering if the L1 - L8 pins could be wired directly into the digital pins on an Uno so that each touch sensor has it's own digital input on the board? I hope this makes sense I'm still beginning with Arduino :confused:

One other question (this may seem a little daft) will 2mm thick copper work as a touch sensor? The dimensions of each key is 15mm by 50mm, and there's 8 altogether with them going into the C1 - C8 pins so will this still be okay? All the demos I see of it online just use fruit!

Regards, Douglas

Anyone?? Help would be massively appreciated!

My guess:
Yes and yes.

But I think think you should just try it.

lg, couka

Thanks!! It's just more for piece of mind I think, project deadline is this coming wednesday and I dont get the part until tomorrow so I just needed a bit of reassurance that it could work just in case I had to explore other possibilities before finishing.

Even if you can't read the led-states with the arduino, you can still use I²C or SPI communication as that's what you are supposed to do with this module.

lg, couka

douglasbrand:
So I just ordered this part (CAP1188 - 8-Key Capacitive Touch Sensor Breakout - I2C or SPI : ID 1602 : $7.95 : Adafruit Industries, Unique & fun DIY electronics and kits) for use in a project

If you watch my YouTube video #30 it is all about the CAP1188 sensor (using I2C with an Arduino though). May help you. URL in the footer of this post.