Using an Accelerometer

Hello, I am interested in making a project in which I am using LED that will light up relative to the acceleration of the moped. For instance, when the bike starts moving and the throttle is pulled, the LEDs will light up gradually based on the acceleration of the bike. Will something like this work well? If so, what kind of Accelerometer should I look for?

Yes it will work but acceleration is not speed. so if you are at constant speed the light would go out.
You could do nice with a bicolor LED.

• GREEN = accelerating
  • RED = decelerating

check this tutorial

robtillaart:
Yes it will work but acceleration is not speed. so if you are at constant speed the light would go out.
You could do nice with a bicolor LED.

• GREEN = accelerating
  • RED = decelerating

check this tutorial

I like that idea with using both Green and Red.. At first I was thinking about measuring the speed of the bike and doing it that way. If I was to do it with the speed, would I have to use a reed switch in order to calculate the speed?

you could place a magnet on a wheel to get a pulse per rotation,
count these pulses and convert to RPM,
converting this RPM to speed.

drawback of measuring RPM is that when there is little movement you get only few pulses.
you can iimprove on this by placing e.g. 10 magnets on the wheel

Another way of measuring speed is to use a small dynamo and measure its voltage produced.
Gives you also power for your application (use a rechargeable lipo battery in between)