Using an Arduino for one simple? task. First time Arduinoer

Hello smart people of the world!

I've got no experience with coding, other than copy/paste :grinning: but I need something, like an Arduino, to do one simple task for me.

My car is a little bit modified. Bigger radiator, new exhaust, supercharger, intercooler etc.

On really hot trackdays, on small tracks, the car get a little hot, and the inlet temperatures is to high for my liking.

I'm looking to use one of the arduinos to once a minute, for around five seconds, send a output signal to a relay, that then goes to a waterpump, that sprays water on the intercooler and radiator.

Why? The principple of heat soaking. Water evaporates, and take the hot air with it.

Is this possible? Even with no experience, and a computer from the time before touch phones.

One simple task, for one happy newbie.

Thanks guys, and girls! :slight_smile:

So much simpler and cheaper to use a 555 timer.

Weedpharma

If you don't want to follow @weedpharma's advice ypu could certainly do what you want with an Arduino. You could also arrange for it to measure the temperature to decide whether a water-spray is necessary.

If you are new to Arduino get an Uno as it is the most standard board. Then learn how to program it by studying the examples that come with the Arduino IDE (the free downloadable programming system) and by reading the tutorials.

Indeed, if you just want to get a sense of what programming is like you can download the IDE and study the examples without ever buying an Arduino board. You will be able to write and compile programs. But you won't be able to run them without a board.

You may find something interesting in planning and implementing a program. However it was not written as an introductory tutorial for someone with zero knowledge.

...R

I think something like this would work.
You need to flesh out the variable declarations, and the pinMode's in setup(),
but loop would work like this.
Flip a toggle switch on the dash to kick things off. Don't imagine you'd want this running by itself in the middle of a drag race, but maybe you do in a lap race.

void loop(){
if (digitalRead(coolingSwitchPin) == LOW){ // toggle switch, connects Pin to Gnd
startTime = millis(); // start 5 second cooldown period
digitalWrite (coolingRelay, HIGH); // turn on cooling relay
coolingState = 1; // on
} 
else {
coolingState = 0;
digitalWrite (coolingRelay, LOW); // turn off cooling relay
}

currentTime = millis(); // time check
if ( (coolingState == 1) && ( (currentTime - StartTime) >5000UL)){ // been 5 seconds?
digitalWrite (coolingRelay, LOW); // turn off cooling relay
coolingState = 0;
waitStart = currentTime; // start 55 second wait
waiting = 1;
}
if( (waiting==1) && ((currentTime - waitStart)>55000UL)){ // been 55 seconds?
startTime = currentMillis; // start 5 second cooldown
coolingState = 1; //
waiting = 0;
digitalWrite (coolingRelay, HIGH); // turn on relay
}

}

MrAwesome:
Hello smart people of the world!

I've got no experience with coding, other than copy/paste :grinning: but I need something, like an Arduino, to do one simple task for me.

My car is a little bit modified. Bigger radiator, new exhaust, supercharger, intercooler etc.
On really hot trackdays, on small tracks, the car get a little hot, and the inlet temperatures is to high for my liking.
I'm looking to use one of the arduinos to once a minute, for around five seconds, send a output signal to a relay, that then goes to a waterpump, that sprays water on the intercooler and radiator.

Why? The principple of heat soaking. Water evaporates, and take the hot air with it.

I'm not a motor mechanic, but won't spraying cold water onto a hot metal part tend to crack it, due to repeated sudden contractions?

Spraying the radiator is ok but I agree re other parts.

Weedpharma

Henry_Best:
I'm not a motor mechanic, but won't spraying cold water onto a hot metal part tend to crack it, due to repeated sudden contractions?

If the period of the duty cycle is short enough then I think the idea is that the temperature is regulated within a small enough range to avoid this...

At the moment it's 60s and 8.3% - you could be on to something Henry ! :wink: OP might take note

1:1:
If the period of the duty cycle is short enough then I think the idea is that the temperature is regulated within a small enough range to avoid this...

At the moment it's 60s and 8.3%

Where did you get those figures from? The OP didn't mention them.

• you could be on to something Henry ! :wink: OP might take note

I would go for an additional radiator or an additional fan or both. But, as I said, I'm not a motor mechanic.

MrAwesome:
once a minute, for around five seconds

Sorry. I missed that bit.