Using an Arduino for reading tags at 3m range

Hello,

I am interested to build a gate-opener for cars, upon identification of specific tags located in the cars.

I saw that simple RFID will work only for near site, and got and idea that this might work with BT communication (with an active tag).

Anyone can provide a direction for this?

Many tnx.

Why a tag in the car? To verify that you stand in front of your own car?

You can use any device that waits for a message (BT, SMS...), whereupon it will open the door.

To make it simple -
I have a gate and I want it to open only to verified cars, and stay close to others.

Do you know of a device that can connect to Arduino and preform that, something simple, that will transfer some kind of a unique authorization code?

So you want access control like those with a keypad, but wireless.

As I wrote already, you need a device that is continuously (actively) waiting for incoming messages. And a device that sends such a message on demand. BT communication is okay for that purpose, because it's locally restricted and also allows for bidirectional communication for safe authentication. Consider that everybody can put a simple receiver next your door, and record whatever your car is transmitting. That's why a one way transmission of a key is not sufficient.

Thank you for the detailed reply.

My mechanism is very simple - I am building a dosing machine for applying probiotics on trucks caring animal feed. I want to dose only trucks with an identifier, and not other trucks that are passing by on that same track.

From that reason - security is not an issue.

I saw BT transmitters that can do that, but I am looking for something that can easily be connected to the Arduino, since I want that micro-controller to be in charge of the dosing pump, and release lighting to the truck driver.

But anyway - this is my obstacle - to identify only the tagged trucks.

Thank you.

DrDiettrich:
So you want access control like those with a keypad, but wireless.

As I wrote already, you need a device that is continuously (actively) waiting for incoming messages. And a device that sends such a message on demand. BT communication is okay for that purpose, because it's locally restricted and also allows for bidirectional communication for safe authentication. Consider that everybody can put a simple receiver next your door, and record whatever your car is transmitting. That's why a one way transmission of a key is not sufficient.

Hi, most key locks use rolling code to communicate, so no comms burst is the same.

Tom.. :slight_smile:

A BT module connects easily to an Arduino, as other wireless modules do.
Eventually an ESP8266 can do everything.

Also infrared control or barcodes are optical options.