Using an Arduino USB Host shield to trigger a USB Webcam

So i have an item that i would like to make. this item will spin a platform and have a camera that took a photo every 1 second or something like that so i can have a 360 photo of the item.

so the first bump I ran into is that i don't think i can use arduino to trigger the camera since both of them are USB slaves. after some reading, i found USB host shield but apparently it can only read a keyboard and mouse.

do you think its possible or should i start looking into using a yun shield.

so the first bump I ran into is that i don't think i can use arduino to trigger the camera since both of them are USB slaves

There are cameras that the Arduino can trigger to take (low resolution) pictures and save to an SD card.

You could hook up a servo, and position it to manually trigger the camera. The Arduino can move the servo.

do you think its possible or should i start looking into using a yun shield.

I think you should change to a Linux based board like the Raspberry Pi. Arduinos don't have the power to efficiently handle images. As PaulS wrote there are solution for low resolution picture grabbing but it's far from being efficient or economical, you'll choose that only if you're already fixed to the Arduino platform for whatever reason.

pylon:
I think you should change to a Linux based board like the Raspberry Pi. Arduinos don't have the power to efficiently handle images. As PaulS wrote there are solution for low resolution picture grabbing but it's far from being efficient or economical, you'll choose that only if you're already fixed to the Arduino platform for whatever reason.

PaulS:
There are cameras that the Arduino can trigger to take (low resolution) pictures and save to an SD card.

You could hook up a servo, and position it to manually trigger the camera. The Arduino can move the servo.

ok thanks for the input on the project. hope your future project goes better than mine :smiley: