Using an IR sensor for obstacle detection in a high speed robot.

Hi there!

I am working on a robot with target speed of 7 m/s. My robot has to run in a 3 m wide lane marked on both sides by cones and has to turn with the lane without colliding with the cones and/or other robots.

I was initially trying to use HC-SR 04 ultrasonic sensors but seems like the doppler's effect renders them useless, or at least they are very slow ( which resulted in a crashed prototype today).

Now my only option is to use light instead of sound, but all the LiDARs I came across either used IR which won't be successful as the robot has to run in bright daylight, or Lasers, but were either discontinued or don't ship to India.

I had an IR sensor lying around, range of about 25 cm, I started playing with it, feedback was good (speed of light), using digitalread I got a 1 if the obstacle is in range or 0 if its not and using analogread some 3 digit numbers(I don't really know what they mean though). But I highly doubt the performance of this sensor in broad daylight.

I've come across this sensor - http://robokits.co.in/sensors/sharp-ir-rangefinder-gp2y0a710k0f-100cm-to-550cm?cPath=11_86&

Is this going to be the right one to use? Or maybe the HC-SR 04 can be made to work?

Modulate the I.R. The you only pay attention to the de-modulated returns.

Look into RF Doppler RADAR?

123Splat: Modulate the I.R. The you only pay attention to the de-modulated returns.

Look into RF Doppler RADAR?

which means?

Look it up.

123Splat: Look it up.

Smart idea..