I had read both pages previously as well. The second link you gave is useful information, but as it warns, it takes a long time to sense lower light levels.
I was disappointed to see "more info soon" on the guy's page, because I wanted to see
(1) how he sensed 64 samples so fast,
(2) whether he's using a RED-ONLY matrix and timeslicing, or he's using the green leds as his sensors,
(3) whether the reds are ensuring a minimum light level to bounce off the fingers, or just cosmetic,
(4) whether the lights can be used as information displays at the same time,
(5) the whole Processing sketch to do the very intuitive and catchy bar chart in real time.