Using an RTC and a relay to turn Arduino on and off

I want to have a coin cell operated rtc (say ds3231) to turn on Arduino and turn it off. The final goal is to have Arduino turn n and of a few times a day.
I've investigated a number of sleep mode tactics and timers allready built in. Unfortunately they don't work that well since I have power consuming devices connected to Arduino and can't to turned to some sleep/low power mode. The lowest I was able to get using these methods still consumed too much current. Most require to physically remove parts from Arduino to achieve better results. To get months on a 9V battery really needs that the Arduino is shut down dead cold and not use any power or self-timer at all!

So I am thinking that an extenal RTC can run months on simple coin cell battery. The arduino would have it own battery, ie a 9v battery. The rtc would operate a relay to cut turn power on and periodically to the Arduino battery. If Arduino needs to run longer than RTC timer would allow the Arduino would supply current to the relay as needed even though rtc alarm has been turned off the relay (a latching relay).

I've seen this approach mentioned on the net using ds3231 even a ds1307. Unfortunately I am missing more accurate descriptions on how to do it. Some youtube videos even posted best results using an RTC.

Can you give us a link to the RTC you are considering?

Paul

For example
http://www.instructables.com/id/Arduino-Sleep-and-Wakeup-Test-With-DS3231-RTC/

newuser:
For example
http://www.instructables.com/id/Arduino-Sleep-and-Wakeup-Test-With-DS3231-RTC/

Ok, but that lacks the relay your project requires.

Paul

newuser:
I want to have a coin cell operated rtc (say ds3231) to turn on Arduino and turn it off. The final goal is to have Arduino turn n and of a few times a day.
I've investigated a number of sleep mode tactics and timers allready built in. Unfortunately they don't work that well since I have power consuming devices connected to Arduino and can't to turned to some sleep/low power mode. The lowest I was able to get using these methods still consumed too much current. Most require to physically remove parts from Arduino to achieve better results. To get months on a 9V battery really needs that the Arduino is shut down dead cold and not use any power or self-timer at all!

So I am thinking that an extenal RTC can run months on simple coin cell battery. The arduino would have it own battery, ie a 9v battery. The rtc would operate a relay to cut turn power on and periodically to the Arduino battery. If Arduino needs to run longer than RTC timer would allow the Arduino would supply current to the relay as needed even though rtc alarm has been turned off the relay (a latching relay).

I've seen this approach mentioned on the net using ds3231 even a ds1307. Unfortunately I am missing more accurate descriptions on how to do it. Some youtube videos even posted best results using an RTC.

Hello

I am doing similar project to turn on and off arduino using RTC. did you find the solution? I am new to this concept so i would like to ask if there are any circuit diagram and code to please share it might help my project.

Thank you