Using analog pins for outputs

I am very confused with using analog pins. A0-A7.

I read somewhere that 2 of these pins cannot be used as digital outputs, however other places say all analog pins can be used as digital.

Basically in a project I want to use 4 analog pins to go into a UL92003 Darlington ic driving a unipolar stepper. Then 3 others that will get turned high/low from wireless commands.

Can somebody please tell me which analog pins I could use for this from the A0-A7 list of pins. Would appreciate a rough list I could have for future use. Many thanks

ZOR2:
I read somewhere that 2 of these pins cannot be used as digital outputs, however other places say all analog pins can be used as digital.

Problem is, do they also tell you for which board?

On an Uno ALL pins are just normal digital pins with the extra function of ADC/analog in.

On a Pro Mini or Nano you can't use A6 and A7 for that, they are pure analog in. But key here is, a Uno has the same micro controller as a Nano or Pro Mini but it simply doesn't have pin A6 and A7 :wink:

So yeah, you can use all analog pins on a Uno / Nano / Pro Mini as digital output (or input) as long as it's not A6 or A7 :smiley:

Many thanks septillion, that's perfect. Now I will get somewhere. Regards

septillion:
But key here is, a Uno has the same micro controller as a Nano or Pro Mini but it simply doesn't have pin A6 and A7 :wink:

It has the same ATmega328P but not in the same package type. The 28-pin PDIP package most commonly used in the UNO doesn't have those pins. Only the 32-lead surface mount packages have them.

septillion:
Problem is, do they also tell you for which board?

On an Uno ALL pins are just normal digital pins with the extra function of ADC/analog in.

You forgot I2C as extra functionality on A4 and A5 :wink:

Then you should also mention the pin change function of each :wink:

But what I wanted to say, the name "analog pin" and using a prefix of "A" is a bit confusing. The analog part is no different then the PWM part of those pins... Only A6 and A7 are truly only analog pins. For the rest it's just an extra function.