Using Arduino as FTDI Programmer

I'm trying to program a Sparkfun nRF52832 Bluetooth breakout board with my Arduino Uno. For reasons, I do not want to use an FTDI programmer for this. Can an Arduino Uno be used to this end?

Currently, I am using this guide. I know it doesn't work for 3.3V boards, but I experimented with just using the 3.3V pin instead of the 5V pin. Needless to say, this hasn't worked.

I have tried multiple setups, but my setup as of now is:

Arduino pin 1 (TX) connected to breakout pin 27 (TX)
Arduino pin 0 (RX) connected to breakout pin 26 (RX)
Arduino pin Reset connected to breakout pin RST
Arduino pin 3.3V connected to breakout pin VCC
Arduino pin GND connected to breakout pin GND.

Arduino has Arduino as ISP sketch uploaded. The board is "Sparkfun nRF52832 Breakout." Programmer is Arduino as ISP. I am uploading as programmer. I get the error message

java.lang.NullPointerException
at cc.arduino.packages.uploaders.SerialUploader.uploadUsingProgrammer(SerialUploader.java:295)
at cc.arduino.packages.uploaders.SerialUploader.uploadUsingPreferences(SerialUploader.java:90)
at cc.arduino.UploaderUtils.upload(UploaderUtils.java:77)
at processing.app.SketchController.upload(SketchController.java:732)
at processing.app.SketchController.exportApplet(SketchController.java:703)
at processing.app.Editor$UploadHandler.run(Editor.java:2070)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748)

I am simply trying to upload the blink sketch as seen here. I am at a loss. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

"Arduino as ISP" is for ATmega ISP programming. even an ATmega could not be upload with it over RX/TX. and sure not RX to RX and TX to TX

programmer is something else as serial upload over bootloader

if you want to use the USB of Uno as 'FTDI', ok. the RX to RX is the right. but upload an empty sketch or Blink to Uno, not "Arduino as ISP". and do a normal Upload to the nRF52, if it has a bootloader. if it doesn't have a bootloader, then the Uno will not help you

Thank you. I have used "Arduino as ISP" for programming an ATMEGA 1281 before, so I thought it was worth a try. I am relatively new to this.

I have set the programmer to ArduinoISP, as I would use for any Arduino sketch. I have the same pin setup as before. I am now getting the error message of:

"Failed to upgrade target. Error is: No data received on serial port. Not able to proceed.

Possible causes:

• bootloader, SoftDevice or application on target does not match the requirements in the DFU package.
  • baud rate or flow control is not the same as in the target bootloader.
  • target is not in DFU mode. If using the SDK examples, press Button 4 and RESET and release both to enter DFU mode."

I have done the Button 4 and RESET cycle a few times. I do not know how to parse the information in the other error messages.

BigDaddyBlash:
Thank you. I have used "Arduino as ISP" for programming an ATMEGA 1281 before, so I thought it was worth a try. I am relatively new to this.

I have set the programmer to ArduinoISP, as I would use for any Arduino sketch. I have the same pin setup as before. I am now getting the error message of:

"Failed to upgrade target. Error is: No data received on serial port. Not able to proceed.

Possible causes:

• bootloader, SoftDevice or application on target does not match the requirements in the DFU package.
  • baud rate or flow control is not the same as in the target bootloader.
  • target is not in DFU mode. If using the SDK examples, press Button 4 and RESET and release both to enter DFU mode."

I have done the Button 4 and RESET cycle a few times. I do not know how to parse the information in the other error messages.

sorry, read my comment again, please. I edited it a few times