Using Arduino board with an AM Radio Wave Modulator circuit

I am working on a simple transmitter and receiver radio. The goal is to deliver a simple picture of 16x16 pixels using an AM radio wave. I am using the Arduino UNO R3 to deliver the 'audio input' or in this case the information about each pixel.

Can anyone tell me if this circuit shown in this picture

would work for this purpose? I have only an introductory knowledge of circuits, and do not know the fundamentals of more complex circuit components like coupled inductors and transistors yet.

It looks "reasonable" but I don't know if that circuit will work. Plus, there are no component values and the transformer selection could be critical. Depending on the transformer's primary impedance you'll probably need to drive it from something "stronger" than the Arduino.

Do you have an oscillator?

And of course, you'll need a receiver.

And, you'll need some kind of MODEM (or MODEM-like) software to convert the data to audio and another one to decode the audio on the other end.

Are you able to do it with just the "audio" transmission (no RF) over a wire?

You can get Arduino transmitter/receiver shields and to me, that seems like the way to go.

DVDdoug: It looks "reasonable" but I don't know if that circuit will work. Plus, there are no component values and the transformer selection could be critical. Depending on the transformer's primary impedance you'll probably need to drive it from something "stronger" than the Arduino.

I think i will need to work backwards from my intended output to find what values I will need for the components. When you say transformer, do you mean the coupled inductor?

Do you have an oscillator?

Not yet, but I was planning on using a Texas Instruments integrated circuit VCO oscillator. It would accept an input voltage of 5V and output an AC voltage with a frequency of 35MHz, according to the information page about this produce.

And of course, you'll need a receiver.

And, you'll need some kind of MODEM (or MODEM-like) software to convert the data to audio and another one to decode the audio on the other end.

What I have in mind, is using the Detectors output DC current to pass over a resistor, and I will measure the voltage drop across that resistor with a second Arduino board. It will write a 1 or a 0 based on this voltage into a matrix, and when this process is complete it will display the matrix onto a small LCD screen.

I think that it will be possible to start the transmission with a voltage twice the voltage which represents a 1, and end the transmission in the same way so that my code can distinguish between the start and finish.

Are you able to do it with just the "audio" transmission (no RF) over a wire?

I wanted to try to do it wire free, as I'm hopefully going to get an internship at a radio communications company, and thought this project would be a good way to impress them.

[quote You can get Arduino transmitter/receiver shields and to me, that seems like the way to go.

If worst comes to worst, I suppose that is an option. I'd prefer to build a simple circuit myself that can accomplish this though.

The circuit wont work at all. You simply have the output connected to the supply rail via a capacitor. Radio comms is not a trivial subject and you need to walk before you can run. Its better to use pre built transmitters and receivers which are readily available and just feed the data which you want to send into the transmitter. Many people on this forum use 433.92 Mhz OOK transmitters and receivers which are extremely cheap and easy to use for sending low rate data. If you really want to build your own transmitters and receivers, then start with the receiver first as they are the harder to build, but you need to learn the basic theory first.

Why did you start a second thread? Please don't double post.

jremington: Why did you start a second thread? Please don't double post.

Sorry I guess. I'll post any more questions I have on the other thread.

@mbferguson, do not cross-post. Thread locked.