Using arduino controller with led strip and lipo battery

Hey,
Sorry if this is the wrong location for this post.

I want to use controller to power a led strip with battery charging.
Can I use a ESP32 for this project like the lolin D32 ? And which lipos/battery should I use for this project. How can I see how much Volt I need.

Thanks for help

LED strips need a power source of their own. Controllers can't be used.

LED strips typically need 5V or 12V, look at the specification of the LED strips you have bought.

Is it possible to connect them with the same battery/power source?

No, IR signals can carry data but they cannot carry power.

sorry should be it*

Ah, ok, then yes it is possible to connect them, but you risk damaging them if the voltage or current is outside the range they are rated for.

Hi,
What is the application?
What do you need to do and the outcome?

Thanks... Tom.... :grinning: :+1: :coffee: :australia:

So batterys should power 5V for LEDs and board should also power 5V

A 5V battery may power 5V LEDs, depending on the battery.

If you need more certain answers, be more specific about what LEDs, what battery you plan to use.

Hey,
LED Strip

I dont know which battery I should use yet. Can you give me a advise ? Battery with these led strip and ESP32 Board.
Is it possible to use the sparkfun esp32 with onboard lipo charger so I can power the leds over the board?

Ok, so we now know one more fact about your project. The led strip will be 5V. But that page does not tell us how long your strip is or how many LEDs are on it. Could be 1m with 30 LEDs or 5m with 300 LEDs.

Will it require another 11 posts to find out each additional fact? If so, good luck with your project.

Sorry I am new to this whole thing.

LED String has 60LEDS so 3.6A. LED Ring has 24 LED so 0.96A.
So I need 4.56A for the LEDs.

Board I have in mind to use or maybe a arduino uno if it is easier (can also be a other board)

Is it possible to use the lipo which can be plugged in to power the LEDs? I read that you can boost the outcome from 3.3V to 5V to power the LEDs.

I hope you have all information you need to help me. Sorry for timewasting.

There is more information, yes. For example, how long do you need the circuit to run before the battery is used? How quickly do you want to re-charge the battery? What type of colours and patterns and brightness do you want the LEDs to display? All the answers will be needed in order for you to choose a suitable battery.

Although ws2812 is rated for 5V, I have found that they will operate ok at the voltages from Li-ion/Li-po batteries, so you may not require a 5V converter. But there is no guarantee, so you must experiment with your strip & ring.

The current requirements you mentioned above are the maximum that could be required if each led is on full brightness white. Other colours, lower brightness levels, flashing patterns and so on will require considerably less current, giving you much more battery life. For example, an animated rainbow effect will probably require only 33% of that maximum current.

You may be able to charge your battery using the charging circuit on the LoLin board, if it is fast enough for you. It's maximum charging rate is 500mA. This charging circuit will also protect the battery from being overcharged.

You must also protect the battery from being over-discharged. This damages li-ion/Li-po batteries and can make them dangerous, exploding or catching fire when they are re-charged. Some batteries have built-in circuits to prevent over-discharge, but many do not, so you will need to add a circuit/module for that.

With such a high current required to flow from the battery to the strip/ring, you do not want that current to flow through the LoLin board. Use extra wires to take power directly from the battery to the LEDs, bypassing the LoLin board. Separate wires can connect the LoLin board to the battery to power it.

Keep in mind that WS2812 "NeoPixels" draw 1 mA per pixel when dark; you cannot shut this off so it is a problem for battery operation.