Using Arduino Ethernet to monitor status of pumps and float switches?

I have purchased an Arduino Ethernet board and would like to use it for monitoring a sewer lift station. I will connect the ethernet connection to a wireless bridge to establish an internet connection. I can wire up relays to the lift station that will close contacts on the Arduino board. The inputs would all be connected to relays (off or on, no analog measurements needed) and there would be 3 or 4 float switches and 2 pump run switches.

I would like the inputs going to the Arduino to generate some sort of webpage (Android friendly) that would show me level in the sump using the input from the float switches, and to be able to see if one or both pumps are running. It would be really cool if it could log the run-time of both pumps and somehow graph it for me.

I would also like to figure out a way to have a text message or email sent to me if the high-alarm float switch is triggered.

Anyone done anything like this? It seems to me like it should be a relatively easy project, but I am just getting started with Arduino and really have no idea how to begin. I figured if anyone has done something similar I could use as a starting point it may save me a lot of work.

Thanks!

Remember you are working with an 8-bit micro*controller*. With only 2K of RAM generating a text page is simple, adding complexity can be difficult (but not impossible.)

The alternative would be to interface with a service like cosm.com (formerly pachube) where the Arduino just has to submit data to it. Then cosm can create your graphs and such.

Yep, you can do it...

I do the same thing for my heating system. It tells me what zone is calling, what the temps in each room are, outside temp, DHW temp and re-circ control and sends a txt if there is a low temp alarm. All is displayed via the Ethernet shield as a web server.

As mentioned the limitations fall on the display end and the size restrictions. I have not managed to kill mine yet but I have also no implemented every feature I would like. Having the Arduino do everything is nice since it becomes all you need. But if you can add an external web server with PHP and MySQL, you can do what ever you want on the webpage. Another advantage to having the Arduino talk to an external DB is you can have a script on the server check to make sure the Arduino [u]IS[/u] checking in and that is has not lost communications. Last thing I want is a problem with a lift pump! :astonished:

4530s: I would like the inputs going to the Arduino to generate some sort of webpage (Android friendly) that would show me level in the sump using the input from the float switches, and to be able to see if one or both pumps are running. It would be really cool if it could log the run-time of both pumps and somehow graph it for me.

I would also like to figure out a way to have a text message or email sent to me if the high-alarm float switch is triggered.

I suggest you have a separate web app on a PC somewhere providing the monitoring/reporting functions and just use the Arduino to report status data to that web server. The most general way to do that would be to have the Arduino post data to a database which can be queried by your webapp. With your management logic on the PC, you're also much better placed to do alarming etc.

Do you have an ethernet shield for your arduino?

I'm doing something similar to monitor my sump pump. I have a a mega 2560 with (in part) a sensor shield and a couple of float switches. A Python script receives serial communication from the arduino and handles email/SMS alerts and MySQL inserts. A PHP script displays (in part) the sump pump status through a mysql select and pchart2 displays some interesting historical graphs.

Cheers,

Steve

I am using a Ping Ultrasonic sensor mounted above my sump pit. The Arduino UNO has a wifly shield that posts the data to a Cosm feed. The sketch sends a notification to Prowl when high water is sensed. I can monitor the feed on my mobile device as well.

Falconeddy: I am using a Ping Ultrasonic sensor mounted above my sump pit. The Arduino UNO has a wifly shield that posts the data to a Cosm feed. The sketch sends a notification to Prowl when high water is sensed. I can monitor the feed on my mobile device as well.

Hi Falconeddy

Would you mind sharing some details of your project

I currently have 3 float switches and would prefer to replace them with some kind of level sensor. how reliable is the ping ? Did you put in a pipe in the sump pit and measure level in that, or just have it face the bottom of the pit. I have two pumps in mine, so there's not a lot of free space

Regards

mark

Falconeddy - would you mind sharing your sketch, I've just sat down to create this but decided to do a quick search first and saw your post. Much appreciated.