using arduino for lab project?

hello everybody,

I have some quick questions that someone with a little bit of experience could answer me easily.

I am doing my Ph.D. in chemical engineering, and I need to do some continuous measures.

for that I have one equipment that has a maximum frequency of 100 Hz of sampling, it stocks the data and after it saved a number of points it sends it back via USB connection.

what I want to know it is if an Arduino would be enough power for the task:

*receive the entrance temperature, exit temperature 1500 points at 100Hz the measures and be able to lower the frequency for a longer experience (staying with the same number, 1500, of points)
*receive the pressure drop with a differential manometer or with two separate manometers the same frequency and quantity of points
*measure the flow with a flowmeter (same as for pressure and temp)
*control 4 valves (type open/close) so two are open, two close and when it is actioned, they change de configuration, and that would be the point where all the measures begin the t=0.
*the extra sensor communicates via USB with Modbus protocols.
*no post-treatment of information only controlling the valves, and recovering the measures from the different things
*export a table of flow/Tentrance/Texit/pressure drop/measure from the equipment in an ASCII table or something like that.
I know that there are different Arduino and a lot of different shields, and different variety and it is not my field at all, but as I saw that some of this things are possible, my doubts are about if they are possible at this speeds I need and also if they are possible altogether before throwing me to learn something from scratch
would really appreciate any help, to see

+if it is possible?
++how difficult would be? (knowing that for the moment I don’t have anything else than the sensor that I mention but none of the valves, flowmeter, thermocouples or pressure captors so I could buy them specifically to be compatible if they have at least that frequency of acquisition)
+++if Arduino is worth it as a viable solution for my issue?

thanks a lot! I know that maybe the information is out there already but what I am looking for is to know if I go to learn something like this knowing I don’t have a lot of extra time…

The basic Arduino Uno has 2K of RAM which is probably not enough. That's 2k bytes so if you are saving 16-bit or floating-point values you'll run out of space, and your program will likely need some RAM for other variables. The Arduino Mega has 8K of RAM, but that's probably still "pushing it".

As you say there are lots of variations and maybe there's one that will work for you.

But I have two concerns -

This not a "small project". It's not a "Electrical Engineering PhD" project, but it might qualify as a BSEE Senior Project. So this is probably a distraction and a time-sink that will interfere with your "real work", especially if you are not an electronics hobbyist.

I'd do as much of this as possible with a regular computer and off-the-shelf equipment. And, maybe get someone to help (or to take-over) any electrical-design & construction.

Your setup & instrumentation may need to be calibrated & qualified. For example, a "homemade" thermometer or voltmeter wouldn't be acceptablein many lab or production environments . And, independent NIST traceable calibration labs generally won't calibrate custom equipment.

That might not be important if the custom-built stuff is only for "digital" control & data collection but it's something that should be investigated.

Your equipment also has to be reliable & maintainable. There's nothing inherently unreliable about the Arduino, but anything homemade can be unreliable and if it fails you can't just send it in for repair or buy a replacement... Usually, the only person who can fix it is the person who built it.