Using Arduino Software on CentOS 5, x86_64 Arch

Is anyone using the Arduino-0010 software for the CentOS 5.1, x86_64 architecture? I’m using it on an AMD64 machine, and I’m getting error emssages because ./arduino was compiled for a 32-bit architecture. To wit:

[rlcl@deafeng2 arduino-0010]$ ./arduino
java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: /home/rlcl/arduino-0010/lib/librxtxSerial.so: /home/rlcl/arduino-0010/lib/librxtxSerial.so: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32 (Possible cause: architecture word width mismatch) thrown while loading gnu.io.RXTXCommDriver
Exception in thread “main” java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: /home/rlcl/arduino-0010/lib/librxtxSerial.so: /home/rlcl/arduino-0010/lib/librxtxSerial.so: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32 (Possible cause: architecture word width mismatch)
at java.lang.ClassLoader$NativeLibrary.load(Native Method)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadLibrary0(ClassLoader.java:1751)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadLibrary(ClassLoader.java:1676)
at java.lang.Runtime.loadLibrary0(Runtime.java:823)
at java.lang.System.loadLibrary(System.java:1030)
at gnu.io.CommPortIdentifier.(CommPortIdentifier.java:83)
at processing.app.Editor.populateSerialMenu(Editor.java:903)
at processing.app.Editor.buildToolsMenu(Editor.java:800)
at processing.app.Editor.(Editor.java:190)
at processing.app.Base.(Base.java:149)
at processing.app.Base.main(Base.java:104)

I’ve printed the Gentoo-64 build instructions posted by johnm1019, and I think I can adapt them to CentOS 5.1, but it would be nice if someone out there has already done that. Thanks!

Bob Cochran
Greenbelt, Maryland, USA

Download librxtx and recompile it.

I dont think you'll have problems with other programs if your using multilib. librxtx is 32bit but your using 64bit java hence the problem. Its a Java library.

I don't know what 'multilib' is, can you explain please?

Thanks a lot for replying to this, I have a lot to learn.

Bob Cochran

Multilib is basically a setup where you can have 32bit libraries and 64bit libraries on the same system, running at the same time.

If running the avrdude executable that comes with Arduino works then you have multilib. Otherwise you dont.