Using Arduino to continuously recieve live input from computer

I am making a project - "Eye controlled wheel chair using python for image processing purpose and arduino for execution of movement of wheels The image processing part is done by my laptop itself using python and opencv libraries. The output produced in "Left" if the person is looking left, "Right" if the person is looking right and "straight" if person is looking straight. I want to send this live data continously to the arduino so that it can recieve it and can be used to move the wheels accordingly. But I dont know how to do that. Can anyone help me in this regard?

Assuming that the Arduino is attached to the laptop via USB cable, you can send it via the serial port. Python has a serial object you can use for this purpose.

To make it easier to code on the Arduino side, just send single characters to tell it what movement to make e.g. 'L', 'R' or 'S'.

No, the arduino isn't attached to laptop via USB. It is rather on the prototype bot. So can I communicate wirelessly between the laptop and the arduino using xBee or wifi module? The main issue I think I'll have is regarding the fact that I'm sending data continously and at live. Do you think Arduino can do that?

I hope that you have planned a "stop" command too, for the safety of bystanders.

MorganS: I hope that you have planned a "stop" command too, for the safety of bystanders.

That's when the user's eyes are closed.