Using arduino to control opening and closing of valve input from optical sensor

hello, i am doing my final year engineering project in which i control a exhaust valve in a two stroke engine (i am designing the valve) which is controlled by a arduino borad which receives input from optical crankshaft sensor.
I'm thinking of using the arduino uno r3 for this is it suitable for this type of project or should i go for someother boards?
your sugestions are welcome for any other ideas.
PS:
i am in starting stage of the project and havent done indepth study of sensors and valve.
if possible link some of the sensors which i can use.

Yes, UNO R3 is suitable. Or a "Pro Mini" with a USB to TTL adapter for programming, which can be disconnected in actual use when not needed for programming & monitoring.

Example using opto-reflective device. Also, try googling for opto-interrupter device. Either will work for your project. - Scotty

thank you for the reply scotty & paul.
and any thoughts on using solenoid valve to control exhaust gasses and if possible can you link me to the code source.
:slight_smile:

pranav93:
any thoughts on using solenoid valve to control exhaust gasses and if possible can you link me to the code source.

Ah well, that's the engineering part which is rightly your domain.

As to the code, you have to figure out exactly what sequence of events it must perform and - having played around with as many of the examples available to do each little bit that may be relevant including simply flashing a light at a certain rate with a certain "on-off" duty cycle and a variable speed to mimic your valve control - come up with some code to perform the task and post it here for critique.

I do not know of a "code source" for such a task - you may be able to find one or you may not by searching (that's what university projects are about); most likely you will have to write that "code source".

thanks reply
i'll get started as sonn as i get the arduino. i'll probably get it by tomo. 8)