Using Arduino to Control Peristaltic Pumps

Howdy Everyone!

This is our first venture into the Arduino world and we were hoping to get some guidance regarding a project we are currently working on. This project involves a OEM peristaltic pump that we would like to program to dispense solution at set flow rates over time. The specs for the pump follow:

http://langerinstruments.com/lowflowrateoemperistalticpump-p-19.html

We are wondering if this pump could be controlled with an Arduino board - as it functions through variations in voltage to control motor RPMs which in turn determine flow rate. The external control mode we selected was the RS-485, as we originally planned to interface an array of pumps with our Campbell Scientific Data Loggers. This may eventually be the case, but first we wanted to use the Arduino to establish flow rates and basic operation.

If anyone has any insight into where we need to start it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

It seems to be controllable with 1200baud serial data so it should be controllable with an Arduino. The page you linked to does not have the details of how to do that.

If you can get details of how to connect to the Serial port on the pump and details of the commands it responds to we could give better advice.

You should be aware that Atmel’s fine print warns against the use of their devices in life-support equipment. The Arduino hardware would increase any risks.

…R

Hi Robin!

Thanks for the quick response, I’ve since received the operating manual via PDF from the company and I’ll post it here so you can take a look at it. It’s definitely more help than just the website…

T100&JY15-12 operating manual.pdf (286 KB)

It looks like it should be quite straightforward. The only snag is that it seems to work with RS232 signals and you would need something like a MAX232 chip to convert the Arduino TTL serial signals to RS232 voltages. RS232 voltages could damage an Arduino.

...R

Robin2:
It looks like it should be quite straightforward. The only snag is that it seems to work with RS232 signals and you would need something like a MAX232 chip to convert the Arduino TTL serial signals to RS232 voltages. RS232 voltages could damage an Arduino.

…R

Perhaps I missed something, but what I read and saw in the diagrams is the device’s native communication is RS-485. The diagrams show converting RS-232 from a computer to RS-485 and then connecting to the pump control board.

Paul

Hi Robin and Paul!

Thanks for your responses! The pump itself is RS-485 with a DIP switch for assigning network IDs 1-30. We currently have it connected to a Campbell Scientific SDM-SIO1 1-Channel Serial input/output module. This module has a RS-232 output that we have connected to the datalogger. So the Arduino would theoretically take the place of the SDM-SIO1 and would need to have a way to interface with the RS-485 to control the pump functions.

This is a quick way to get an RS485 converter chip on your Arduino: Sparkfun RS485 Shield.

Maxim has 176 different chips that can interface to RS485. Picking one is difficult. After experimenting with the Sparkfun one, you will know if it does what you need so you can design a custom board with that chip or just keep using the shield.

Paul_KD7HB: but what I read and saw in the diagrams is the device's native communication is RS-485.

You are correct. I missed that - I thought it could do both RS485 and RS232. Sorry.

...R

Thanks for your help everyone! We're having trouble with the pump's programming language but we're struggling through it.