Using Arduino to read data on a website to switch electronics off

I am trying to use the Arduino to read data ( so the text data) from a website ( For example: A = ON) then Arduino will turn an electronic on. How should I approach this? How would I get the text data from the website?

do you mean that your Arduino is the web site, or do you mean that you are monitoring a remote website e.g the local weather and if the temperature on the remote site is greater than 30 degrees it automatically does something like turning on your air conditioning

Also. Does the Arduino's connection to the Internet hard wired or wifi?

rogerClark: do you mean that your Arduino is the web site, or do you mean that you are monitoring a remote website e.g the local weather and if the temperature on the remote site is greater than 30 degrees it automatically does something like turning on your air conditioning

Also. Does the Arduino's connection to the Internet hard wired or wifi?

To monitor a remote website (like the counts on a website). The Arduino will be connected via ethernet.

Yes. This can be done using the Ethernet shield or wifi shield or pretty much any module that connects to the web.

The difficulty with getting data from complete web pages is that they are normally too big to fit in the RAM in the Arduino, so you need to write code that can find the data on the page as it streams in.

frostkarrotor: To monitor a remote website (like the counts on a website).

If you plan to access the website to read the counts, make sure that the counts don't include the accesses from your Arduino.