Using Arduino UNO and Arduino duemilanove from the same PC

I've been using an Arduino duemilanove to program my Colorduino. Now I have an Arduino Uno and it needs different drivers.

Before I install the Arduino Uno stuff I'd like to be reassured that it will not mess up my installation of the Arduino duemilanove drivers, which are working perfectly at the moment...

So, if I install the Uno stuff will my Duemilanove stuff still work when I swap boards?

I realise I'll have to change the board selected in the Tools | Board menu when I swap.

A secondary question (not very important): Can I run two boards from the same PC at the same time? It would be nice, but not super neccessary for what I have in mind.

(deleted)

I realise I'll have to change the board selected in the Tools | Board menu when I swap.

Just as important is to be sure to select the proper comm port number. The PC will assign each board you plug into a USB port a different virtual comm number. A secondary question (not very important): Can I run two boards from the same PC at the same time? It would be nice, but not super necessary for what I have in mind.

Yes you can.

Lefty

Thanks for the info, but unfortunately what I suspected would happen [u]has[/u] happened.

I can no longer talk to my duemilanove . I select the right board, and have a choice of COM3 and COM4, but neither work. The green light is on and it seems as if the board gets reset, but then the old sketch remains and I get the "could not upload" message.

The UNO is on com5 and does work.

So, any suggestions? Help!

Do you get another any COM ports if you plug in only the duemilanove? If not, reinstall the FTDI drivers.

smeezekitty: Do you get another any COM ports if you plug in only the duemilanove? If not, reinstall the FTDI drivers.

When trying to run the duemilanove I have the choice of only COM3 or COM4

When trying and succeeding with the Uno I only get COM5.

You mean repeat the installation of drivers as explained on the Ardunio site?

I have come up with a brutal solution. I use the 0017 IDE for the duelimanove and the 0022 IDE for the UNO. It is clumsy but works.

Argh.

:~