Using arduino uno as USB to USART converter

Hello everyone,

I’ve 0 experience with Arduino but have an Arduino Uno lying around which I never used.
I noticed that when I plug the usb cable in it and into my PC in the device manager the arduino uno is seen as a serial port.

So I was wondering if it could be possible to somehow use it as a USB to USART converter.
I need an USB to USART converter to talk to the native bootloader of the MCU from an STM32F board but I do not have an USB to USART converter.

Can the arduino uno somehow be used to emulate a converter so it can be the interface between my PC and the STM board? Thank you!

If you can carefully remove the Atmega 328 chip from the Uno then the Rx, Tx and GND pins will be at your service. I’m assuming your Uno has a DIP chip.

…R

Ok I have removed the Atmega MCU from the board.
Now I can use the Rx, Tx and GND as I would use them with a usart to usb converter correct?

Also could the board be used in the same fashion as an SPI/I2c to usb converter and use the SPI tx, rx pins from the board or that is possible only with UART?

And one last question sorry if it's too basic: to make a common GND between my arduino and stm board I just connect a GND from the arduino to one GND from the STM right?

cantafford92:
Also could the board be used in the same fashion as an SPI/I2c to usb converter and use the SPI tx, rx pins from the board or that is possible only with UART?

SPI and I2C need the Atmega 328 chip and a suitable Arduino program.

And one last question sorry if it's too basic: to make a common GND between my arduino and stm board I just connect a GND from the arduino to one GND from the STM right?

Yes

...R

Ok thanks