Using Arduino Uno to read registers from a ROM

Hello Arduino Forum,

I am working on a project for school but am having some difficulties. I am not sure if my code works and would like to perform a simple test. I am suppose to use the Arduino to read registers off of some peripheral device but it does not seem to be working. I want to test to see if it can read from some ROM.

What type of ROM would be most suitable for this type of test? I would want to be able to write to one of the registers on the ROM and have the Arduino read from it to confirm that my code is working correctly.

Any guidance is greatly appreciated.

Thank you

bmell:
What type of ROM would be most suitable for this type of test? I would want to be able to write to one of the registers on the ROM and have the Arduino read from it to confirm that my code is working correctly.

ROM stands for READ ONLY MEMORY. Writing to it isn't going to work.

How is the device connected? parrallel? I2C? One-Wire?

Thanks for the replies guys.

[/quote]

ROM stands for READ ONLY MEMORY. Writing to it isn't going to work.
[/quote]

Then how is data stored into a ROM? It has to be written to somehow right? There are no writable ROMs?

KeithRB:
How is the device connected? parrallel? I2C? One-Wire?

SPI

bmell:
Then how is data stored into a ROM? It has to be written to somehow right? There are no writable ROMs?

Generally it is burned in at the time of manufacturing or it can one-time programmable. But yes, a "ROM" is read-only, that's the point.

Flash Memory, EEPROM, and RAM all generally have the ability to read and write.

Your best bet are devices with a I2C or SPI interface.