Using ASF in Arduino IDE

Hi, is it possible to use ASF in the Arduino IDE?

If yes, how can i do that ?

regards

That would depend on what you think ASF means.

PaulS:
That would depend on what you think ASF means.

Atmel Software Framework

Yes

Mark

It looks like the libraries for ASF are included in the IDE in a .zip file. Is it enough to just unzip it. Will the libs be loaded inside the bootlegger? Anyone tried this?

I wouldn't use it. The Arduino core is not using ASF, and who knows what dependencies there are on using ASF functions vs initialization.
(For example, if you build a Due board-based project in Atmel Studio, it'll include a a call to ioport_init() that says "ioport must be initialized for others to use", but the ASF documentation doesn't really describe what it does. There are other parts that might require ASF-based initialization before they can be used - perhaps the USART baud rate generator code relies on clocking info stored by the ASF clock routines?)

OTOH, if you were mostly looking for the CMSIS definitions of peripheral structures (which Atmel seems to think are part of ASF), THOSE should already be available in arduino...

It looks like the libraries for ASF are included in the IDE in a .zip file.

I didn't see any such thing?

I want to use DMA on an Arduino with a SAMD21 processor. I don't see a way to do that unless I:

1. Use Atmel Studio
  2. Address the hardware directly without ASF
  3. Somehow use ASF in the Arduino IDE.

1 has the disadvantage that I am not working with Arduino IDE and need to use Windows instead of Mac.
2 has the disadvantage that I need imitate functions already written in ASF
3 has the disadvantage that I don't know yet if it is feasible

Well, you can try it. Hopefully ASF DMA doesn't requires ASF peripheral init, which might require ASF clock init, which might...
In Atmel studio, when you add an ASF component, it actually copies the files for that component into your project (rather than pointing to some ASF standard location), so you can probably do the same thing for an Arduino library...

Will the libs be loaded inside the bootlegger?

The bootlegger?