Using AT5561D as driver for DC motor

I'm new to Arduino and this is probably a dumb question, but I haven't been able to find an answer anywhere. I'm trying to get a motor to spin forward and backward. I took apart a working toy and found an AT5561D driver in it. I assumed I'd be able to do connect it to an uno board, but I don't know how. I looked up the pin description of driver and tried to follow these instructions https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-arduino-lesson-15-dc-motor-reversing/overview I tried for hours, but couldn't figure out what the correct breadboard setup should be. Can anyone help me?

Edit: here is the data sheet http://www.datasheetdir.com/AT5561D+download

From what I found, to run a motor using that chip it looks to me that you need to:

• Put 5V across pin7 and ground (pin 3) to drive the chip
  • Put whatever voltage the motor needs across pin 6 and ground
  • Put high and low from two Arduino pins onto pins 1 and 8 for one direction
  • Put low and high from those two Arduino pins onto pins 1 and 8 for the other direction
  • Make sure the Arduino ground is connected to the chip ground pin 3

I also think that if you make the Arduino control lines low / low the motor will coast to a stop and high / high will brake.

edit: also looks like ground 2 should be grounded to 3; not sure what the difference is between the two

Thank you so much for your expertise! I will try that and see if it works out.

Follow-up question: does this set-up mean that I can't use any part of the sketch from the adafruit lesson?

Sandbot: Thank you so much for your expertise! I will try that and see if it works out.

Follow-up question: does this set-up mean that I can't use any part of the sketch from the adafruit lesson?

First the chip you have doesn't have the enable requirement like the 293 does; seems the motor is always enabled and will rum with the high/low or low/high on pins 1 and 8 straightaway.

Second, your chip's datasheet is silent on the matter of speed control, so I suspect the PWM (ie analogWrite) of the adafruit sketch will not work. That sketch in any case implements that PWM on the enable pin which you don't have.

So you're left with all or nothing: high/low and low/high will give full speed in both directions but no speed control. You would use digitalWrite only, no analogWrites.

Thank you so much for all your help! I was able to get the motor working just like I was hoping for :D

Good news indeed!

Now you can do two things please:

• Edit the title in the first post and add the word "solved" or "answered" or similar. (Has to be the first post: that's the one that shows in the index)
  • Post your code and a schematic: others may benefit from that

As a matter of interest, did you (or if not, will you?) experiment with pwm (ie analogWrite) on those pins to see if that chip supports it?