Using AVRDude in CommandLine

Hello Everyone,

I am sure this is answered already somewhere, but I cannot seem to find it.

I would like to open AVRDude in command line but I cannot seem to find it. I have tried navigating through the arduino folders and typing in "avrdude" but the only thing that is returned is:

'avrdude' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

Does this mean that the Arduino install of AVRDude is only for Arduino environment or can I access AVRDude separately?

Thank You

It is there.
..hardware/tools/avr/bin/

If you're still having trouble, try this:

• (In the Arduino IDE) File > Preferences
  • Uncheck the checkbox next to "Show verbose output during: compilation"
  • Check the checkbox next to "Show verbose output during: upload
  • Click "OK"
  • Sketch > Upload (it doesn't matter what sketch you upload)

After the upload finishes, examine the contents of the black console pane at the bottom of the Arduino IDE window. There, you'll find the avrdude command generated by the Arduino IDE and used to upload your sketch. In addition to the path to the avrdude executable, this will also show you the path to the avrdude.conf configuration file.

Budvar10,

Thank You - spot on! I could have sworn I checked this location but apparently I missed it.

Stupid question though, how would I make it so that AVRDude is usable from any location, do I simply add its bath to the PATH directory in Windows?

Pert,

Thank You for your help!

dimitri:
Stupid question though, how would I make it so that AVRDude is usable from any location, do I simply add its bath to the PATH directory in Windows?

You should add its path to the PATH environment variable.

You can set it permanently via the Windows settings:

• Start Windows Control Panel.
  • Navigate to System and Security > System > Advanced system settings.
  • Click the "Advanced" tab.
  • Click the "Environment variables..." button.