Using Beta 2 and Ver 1.8 on the same system

Hello All
This might be a crazy question.

Can I install both the Beta 2 & IDE Ver1.8.xx on the same system ?

Why this question :
I had written code for Esp 8266 ( Node MCU ) on IDE ver 1.8 and complied fine and was successfully uploaded and works fine.

The same program generated UNKNOWN errors while compiling with the Beta 2 version. The issues I had a are :
= Issue with Board Management with Beta 2.
=I am using Node MCU and on the 1.8 version we normally select esp8226 ( ver 1.0 ) which was fine.
Beta 2 I had to only use Generic Version for it to be recognized by the IDE. Did not also show up the port when I selected board version 1.0 !!

It would be great to have both the Beta and Ver 1.8 run on the same system ( but I will running one version at a time !!)

Thanks in advance. Be safe and keep well.

Regards
Vijay

Yes. I, all the other beta tester, and the majority of the users, have both installed. There is no problem at all.

I'm going to ask you to post some additional information that might help us to identify the problem.

Please do this:

1. Select File > Preferences from the Arduino IDE's menus.
  2. Check the box next to "Show verbose output during: [ ] compilation".
  3. Click the OK button.
  4. Select Sketch > Verify/Compile from the Arduino IDE's menus.
  5. Wait for the compilation to fail.
  6. Right click on the black "Output" pane at the bottom of the Arduino IDE 2.x window.
  7. From the context menu, click Copy All.
  8. Open a forum reply here by clicking the Reply button.
  9. Click the </> icon on the post composer toolbar. This will add the forum's code block markup (```) to your reply to make sure the error messages are correctly formatted.
    Code block
  10. Press Ctrl+V. This will paste the compilation output into the code block.
  11. Move the cursor outside of the code tags before you add any additional text to your reply.
  12. Click the Reply button to post the output.

Please provide a more detailed description of the problem.

Show up where?

Thank you Pert,

Will post all the details that you mentioned once I get on the system later today.

It was also good to note that I can run both versions on the same system. This is basically to see if both versions compile and execute the prog and would love to switch to ver 2 with all the goodies !!

Thank you so much for your time. Will revert back all the details.

Regards
Vijay

Hello
This time the code compiled correctly. Node MCU ver 1.0 was also detected at COM 4.
What I did see though, it took a while for the board to be detected.
Did I miss something the first time around. Probably I used the Genric Board and compile failed, since nodeMcu ver 1 board was not detected.

Thank you for preciuos time.
Stay safe keep well.
Regards
Vijay

Could not upload the </> data for the below reason :
Body is limited to 120000 characters; you entered 278494.

Wow! You're the first I've seen run into the new limit. With the old forum software, the limit was 9000 characters and people hit it all the time.

Hello,
Your comment " WOW ".. Ha.. ha
Is that a good sign or a bad one !!

Just using ws2812b lib , NTP client, DHT22 libraries and code to display a clock with day, date. Temp and humidity. That,s about it. I am old timer to code writing ( from Dbase3 days !! ) and may be my coding hit your new mark.
Like the new look of Beta 2 .. Lib section could be more organized with reference to what I have installed already and update to relevant ones could make life a little more easy.
Thank you for your time. Be safe and keep well
Regards
Vijay

Well, it's certainly an overwhelming quantity of output. I normally advise people to leave the "verbose output during compilation" off during regular use because the verbose output is not generally useful. But when the IDE is not acting correctly that verbose output is essential for troubleshooting. So I recommend turning it on only as needed.

This will definitely be improved in the near future. I believe this is the ticket being used to track that deficiency:
https://github.com/arduino/arduino-ide/issues/177

Hello

Thank you for your advise and look forward to hearing of newer updates.

Always like to try out new updates and s/w. I also use MSFS2020 and their updates are so huge and at times has destroyed good working program functions. There is always bound to a few mistakes in source code when under development, just " Buliding locks ". Great work from your side.

Thank you
Regards
Vijay

Thanks so much for your kind words and positivity.
Regards,
Per

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.